H Visa Going to Canada for H1B Stamping - Convicted of Minor Offence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParDeen

Hello Everyone,
I am in a situation and desperately need your advice.

I am currently on H1 and I am going to Vancouver to get my stamping done. Everything is good....except for this one minor brush with the law.

5 years ago, (in Connecticut) I was shooting cans in my house parking area with a BB gun
and I got arrested and was put in a jail cell for half hour and finger-printed. They initially charged me with "Breach of Peace", a misdemeanor. But at the court the charge was reduced to "Creating a Disturbance", an "Infraction". I paid a fine of approx $100. I checked my state records and FBI records recently and its CLEAN. No mention of this arrest.

My question is....will this affect my H1B stamping in Vancouver. Will I have any problems? Please let me know what documents I should take regarding this record. Will they require a background check even if I take my FBI and State Police records with me? And how long would I be stranded in Canada if they require this background check?

I also read somewhere that its better to go to the Embassy in Ottawa for this case because they have faster access to my background records. Is this true?

And oh, BTW, when this incident happend I was on OPT (F1) and I have got 3 H1B's approved since them (if that makes any difference).

Please advice.
Thank you very much in advance.
--Par

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back