go out of country from debt and civil claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virusx1

I previously met two different lawyers to ask about avoiding debt (about $300,000 such as loan under my company name and my name name, credit card debt and so on, company has been liquidated.)

If I go out of country, they both told me that is nothing to do with immigration as long as it is not criminal. But I would like to know what those creditors will do if I just give up my green card and try to get way from the debt by leaving out of United States. First lawyer told me that they may investigate in the country where I will be to collect the debt, but the other lawyer said I have nothing to do as long as I don't come back. Also, this vendor filed a civil case against me because I had a debt. What if I just ignore to respond? I heard it will be then default. What does it mean? Does it possibly change to criminal? amount was about $40,000. First lawyer said I better file a bankcruptcy to avoid the charge on that case even tho I choose to live out of country by giving my green card up, but the second lawyer said I don't have to do as long as I live out of the United States. Anyway, I don't have enough asset to pay the debt and currently have no job.

If I try to come back to the states after like 5 or 10 years later upon my son's (who is u.s. citizen)invitation (with traveling visa, or may be applying for new green card), then do my past credit and that civil claim record follow me to pay back?

Also, I think I am involved in this case. this person said that he was going to lend me money through the bank and I received about $40,000 from the bank (he took 40% as a processing fee), but then realized that case was bank mortgage fraud and he will be in criminal charge. Since I didn't know and didn't intend but may be involved, if court asks me to come as a witness/victim for that person, what happens If I don't respond to appear? Do I be a suspcious person and I will possibly be criminal as well?
If so, does it also affect on coming back to the states in the future? like I will be arrested at the airport or something?

These two lawyers say totally different story. One, I have to file bankcruptcy whether I live in the states or not, and the other one says I don't have to as long as I give up green card and live out of the states. It costs too much to get consultation from multiple lawyers. Does any one have idea about this kind of situation?

moving out of the country will "toll" the statute of limitations, and your creditors may still be able to pursue you if you come back to the US
failure to respond to a subpoena may result in a bench warrant
i, personally, would file bankruptcy

process of foreclosure?

Hi,
I heard that first, sheriff visits the owner to notify that owener has to leave the property within the certain period of time (2 weeks or something?) then property will be on sale at county auction. However, could it possibly happen that county auction will occur first and sheriff's notice next? my brother's house looks like to be under foreclosure, and all he has received was a document from lawyer's office saying that auction will be held in May and notice of trustee's sale would be published on April 21, and April 28 and nothing has happened or heard on April 21. I wonder how the foreclosure process is usually going to be from this point if anyone can answer please. It's in fairfax county, VA. Thank you.

Credit card joint liability?

My father had a credit card and he made me an alternative card with my name on it couple years ago. My father is now in a serious debt situation paying card bills, and I just found out that credit card company would not remove my name unless we file a bankcruptcy or pay off the balance. So I asked this representative from the card company on the phone if that fact actually stated on application form that my father filled out or if they can send me like a statement explains it. She didn't seem to have a knowledge about that. But I found that my credit score has been decreased caused by that situation.
Like she said on the phone, is paying off the balance or filing bankcrupcy only way to fix my credit score?

Also there were strange transactions on the statement, but my father could not notify the credit card company since he was out of town for couple months and just found that out on the statement, and that lady on the phone said that it would have been notified within 30days, otherwise, they may not review, but my father still can send a letter explain the situation if he wants to. Is she true?

Thank you.

is credit history considerable for employment decision?

because of the situation that I posted before this thread, my credit score is low, and someone told me that it sometimes could be a part of consideration for employment decision. I am searching for a new job now and wonder if that is really effective.

Thank you.

It depends on the job you are applying for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back