Girlfriend breakup with Joint Home ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

spls1995

3 years ago my girlfriend and I purchased a house togetherin PA. The deed and mortages are in both of our names. I made the initial downpayment and we have split the mortgage payments each month, and I paid all utilities. We broke off our relationship and she moved out. She now refuses to make any payments for the home. What action can be taken? I have offered a lump sum payment to buy her out of the home and she refuses as the housing market is now so hot these days and believes she is entitled to double if the market were different. What legal action can be taken since she abandoned the home and refuses to make mortgage payments. I don't want to be foreclosed but feel she is abandoning not only the home but her financial obligations.

Tell her that her options are:

1. She can allow you to buy out her share of what she's already invested in the property.

2. She can buy out your share of what you've already invested in the property.

3. She can sign a Quit Claim deed giving up her share of the property (although not the mortgage payment responsibility should you fall back on these payments).

4. She can see you in court when you sue her for her share of the owed mortgage.

In other words, she can't simply sit on her rump expecting you to continue paying all of the mortgage until the market turns around (if it ever does) so she can now make a killing on the sale of this property.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back