Girl friends dad suing me for rent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dssgiver

I have a problem. Due to my girlfriends father not likeing me due to family problems at the moment he is suing me for back rent. I have never signed a lease, nor have him nor I talked about payment of rent for me living in the house that is now in his name due to re-financing. The first couple years my g/f was the owner of the house, then due to financial reasons we let him re-finance the house and now it's in his name. Now because me and my g/f are having some domestic problems he is trying to force me to be evicted. Despite her telling him that we are gonna be together with or without his approval. Now I am being sued for back rent, and of course she is not! What are my legal rights? Do you think his case will hold up in court? We are in Oklahoma btw. Thanks for any input and advice that you may give. Also since he is suing me and me only, is there an option for me to counter sue, if so on what grounds would there be for me to file a counter suit on?

I don't think your girlfriend's father has a case if you never paid rent. He will have a problem explaining to the court that he is suing you for the rent but does not collect from his daughter. What amount is he suing for? Fair market value? If there is no deal, there is no deal and you may be able to countersue for malicious prosecution and request damages since the father never had any reasonable basis to bring the suit. He knows perfectly well that there is no agreement -- assuming all of what you are saying is correct.

Originally posted by Dssgiver
I have a problem. Due to my girlfriends father not likeing me due to family problems at the moment he is suing me for back rent. I have never signed a lease, nor have him nor I talked about payment of rent for me living in the house that is now in his name due to re-financing. The first couple years my g/f was the owner of the house, then due to financial reasons we let him re-finance the house and now it's in his name. Now because me and my g/f are having some domestic problems he is trying to force me to be evicted. Despite her telling him that we are gonna be together with or without his approval. Now I am being sued for back rent, and of course she is not! What are my legal rights? Do you think his case will hold up in court? We are in Oklahoma btw. Thanks for any input and advice that you may give. Also since he is suing me and me only, is there an option for me to counter sue, if so on what grounds would there be for me to file a counter suit on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back