Gifted tv taken by roommate, not sure how to proceed

miamirobyn

Jurisdiction
Florida
Recently I lost my job when the business went bankrupt. The owner and I had gotten to be pretty good friends, especially since I was pretty much the only person that stayed on until the doors closed. So on the last day, she told me that I could take whatever I wanted from the store and helped me load up my items of choice. One of them was a 30" Insignia tv that had been mounted on the wall.

I left the tv in the living room since I had planned to get a table stand and put it there so my roommates and I could all use it. I live with two cousins in their mid-twenties, their mom/aunt, and her ex-husband. Everyone gets along with each other, pretty much, although the lady in the house tries to overstep her authority and won't accept personal boundaries. However, I had a family trip that weekend, and she asked if she could have my tv while I wasn't there. She'd asked him about it, he was clear that it was my property and she would have to ask me. Which she did really respectfully, considering, so I figured why not. I told her she could use it until I got back and then I would want it back, something I was clear on, since I didn't know her well at the time and didn't want any miscommunication.

When I came back from my weekend trip, the tv was wall-mounted in her room. I mentioned that it looked really nice where it was but I wanted it back, since I was going to put it in the living room for everyone to use. She threw an honest-to-god temper tantrum and screamed at me until I pretty much ran out of the room wondering what the heck just happened. Came back the next day and she proceeded to inform me that she'd never seen or heard of my tv, and that the one she currently had was one that her son had bought for her while I was gone.

She refuses to think that I have any claim on the tv. The story keeps changing. The only consistent is that she refuses to give it to me, and raises Cain whenever I mention the subject. I don't have a receipt for it, since it's a gift, but I do have my roommate and my old boss who would confirm my story that the tv was mine. And there are some paint splashes on the back of it that match pictures of the store's bright pink walls, and one picture that shows the tv hanging in the store. I just have no idea how to handle this situation without either involving the police or simply removing the tv from her room while she isn't at home, neither of which I want to do. I've tried talking to her about it, and so have my other two roommates, but she inevitably refuses to listen and usually starts screaming at the top of her lungs about how I'm a thieving liar. Help?

Roommate scenarios rarely end well among adults.

The woman has stolen your TV.

The common law definition of theft is the taking of the property of another with the intent to PERMANENTLY deprive the owner of said property.

You should begin your preparations to move out and live ALONE.

You then can contact your former employer & friend and ask her if she has the serial number of the TV she gifted you.

Once you obtain that information, you can file a police report against the female thief.

That of course will cause an uproar unlike any you have seen to date.

If moving is NOT in your current plans, you can buy one of those TVS (that brand and size) for around $99.00.

I gave that exact model to my several of my grandchildren this spring, just because.

If you can't find that brand, there are others at that price:

Walmart has many on sale today:

Sceptre 32" Class HD (720P) LED TV (X322BV-SR)
$109.99
List price $199.99 Save $90.00

There is no way to win if you live among thieves.

The handwriting is on the wall, which is why its best to get out before you really get got!

I just have no idea how to handle this situation without either involving the police or simply removing the tv from her room while she isn't at home, neither of which I want to do.

If you don't want to do either of those and I'm guessing you don't want to sue her either, then just put your tail between your legs and forget you ever had the TV because there are no other alternatives than those three.

My old boss doesn't have the receipt or serial or anything for the tv. It was bought a number of years ago, and honestly, with all the drama of the shop closing and her losing money on it and all, I don't really want to drag her into my personal problems after we've mostly parted ways. I also don't want to spend ~$100 on a replacement tv that I won't have any use for in the near future.

I am in no way interested in letting this woman get away with anything, however. She's broken the law and been a [redacted] to me about it, so at this point, whatever happens to her is no concern of mine. I've done everything in my power to settle this without turning it into an issue but there's no way that I can play nice any longer.

I do have plans to move, but they won't be financially in place for several months, and I don't want to let her settle in with my belongings for that long and only then be told that I'm going to do something about it. That won't go over well either. It's been about a week already and I'm getting the impression that she already thinks she's gotten away with it.

My current plan is something along the lines of getting a lock for my bedroom, getting the tv back, and locking the door whenever I'm not in the room. I know that whatever I do will cause a huge amount of drama, but at this point, I don't care. She's lied to me and stolen from me only to falsely accuse me of doing the same to her. I'm just not sure whether it would be better to get my tv back now or wait until I'm on my way out.

I appreciate both of you answering.

No matter what you do, it ain't going to be pretty. If I were you I would wait until I had a place to move to then stealthily take my TV. Even if you put a lock on your door she can make your life miserable. You are not dealing with a rational person. Keep that in mind. If she really goes berserk is the tv really worth it?

Back