Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Getting your ban lifted from a store

A

Asdf1

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
so believe it or not, the state of Massachusetts has a long statute of limitations on misdemeanors- 6 yrs. I shoplifted at kohls a year back and they never called the police, they just took all my info, kept the situation internal and I paid my civil demand. now, id like to get my life ban from the store lifted. I've read about many people who have written to the kohls company attn Loss Prevention and have gotten their ban lifted after a few months. Keep in mind I am not a thief anymore although I know I once was. I wouldn't even think about doing that again. We all go through times of poor judgement as humans and that was mine. So, what I would REALLY like to know, is:

Do you think that my writing of the letter will cause kohls to bring the matter to court? Considering they kept it internal and since it was done in a state with such a lengthy statute of limitations, they technically could.
Should I just wait out the next 5 years until the statute is up to write to kohls? It seems that they often do let people back in the store after they've been banned if they ask for forgiveness. Of course I'm not expecting they do, but it's been done in the past so it won't hurt to try. I have always loved to store and unfortunately I decided to make a terrible decision there once.

Do you think that my writing of the letter will cause kohls to bring the matter to court?

Unlikely. Everything I've read from shoplifters (many hundreds) suggests that the civil demand is the end of it. Especially when nothing else happened since then.

Couldn't hurt to write the letter, express contrition, and see how it goes.

Personally though, there are so many other stores that are better to shop at than Kohls, that it shouldn't make a difference.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. First off your NOT a thief until found guilty in court! Second do not "write" anyone! Contact the store (you should not publicly name) corporate office and request lift or shorter ban. In most cases I have seen this request is granted. If it is lifted expect to be watched very closely!

Back