Getting Ticket Fine Lowered - Illegal Right Turn 22101D

P

Paterson92

Jurisdiction
California
I got a ticket under violation code 22101D for making a right hand turn during prohibited hours (during rush hour in Los Angeles). There is a dedicated turn lane with signage posted but I thought that the 'prohibited hours' were at night, completely my fault. I did this turn on a green light and found out from the officer that the turn is only illegal as the neighborhood residents requested it due to overcrowding of their streets during rush hour. I finally got my ticket in the mail at it will end up costing me over $400 after traffic school and whatnot, I find this fine to be absolutely ridiculous for the violation (this is the same fine for blowing a red light), it is not a dangerous turn and I am not putting lives at risk by making this turn...on the other hand a speeding ticket (which is endangerment) would cost me around $200. So is there any way for me to get this fine reduced and how do I go about doing this? I've found so much conflicting information and am not sure if I should set an arraignment date, just walk into court and visit a kiosk, or send in a written declaration. I do not want to plead 'not guilty' as I did complete the illegal turn...I just want to get my fine lowered and get traffic school. Thank you so much for your help.

Ask the court if its possible to take an online traffic school class. Easy peasy.

...it will end up costing me over $400 after traffic school and whatnot...

This certainly sounds as if that would be the financial damages if traffic school is offered.

If you go that route then the fine is what it is. If you don't like that there's not much you can do about it.

All of your arguments about the severity (or lack thereof) of the violation are irrelevant.

You made an error and got caught. Now you'll have to pay the price.

I find this fine to be absolutely ridiculous for the violation (this is the same fine for blowing a red light), it is not a dangerous turn and I am not putting lives at risk by making this turn...

Everybody says that about every traffic ticket.

I do not want to plead 'not guilty'

The state has no obligation or incentive to work with you unless you plead not guilty and hope the court calendar is overbooked to the point where they start offering plea bargains to move things along.

Back