Getting sued in small claims for undisclosed issues

cgee

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I was recently admitted into the NJ bar and had a question about a suit against a family member.

Do I need to file a notice of appearance if this is in small claims?

About the case:
Plaintiffs are suing for $3,042 (demand amount & filing fee).

Plaintiff alleges that water damage issues were covered up based on plywood covering areas in the basement.

The house was sold as is and Plaintiffs had an inspector inspect the house prior to purchasing the home.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

You're very close to the $3,000 threshold so you are going to have to look at the summons. A summons for $3000 or less just gives a court date to appear. I haven't found anything to indicate that you would have to notify the court in advance that you are representing your family member.

A summons for more than $3000 requires that an answer be filed if the plaintiff's claim is disputed. My guess is that an attorney's name on the answer would be the equivalence of "filing an appearance."

The NJ court website has a very good self help page. Look at the Civil Division in the center.

Self-Help Resource Center

Plaintiff alleges that water damage issues were covered up based on plywood covering areas in the basement. The house was sold as is and Plaintiffs had an inspector inspect the house prior to purchasing the home.

Figuring out how to defend against that is your department. It's what you went to law school for. I hope.

Back