Getting sued by law office for an old credit card. I'm totally confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shallowmichael2

I'm 26 years old and I live in Tennessee. I accumulated like around $5000 in credit card debt a few years ago, all on department store cards like Macy's etc. Well, my mother was paying all the minimum payments while I was out doing crazy stuff like drinking and doing drugs, etc. Well, I checked into drug and alcohol rehabiliation like a month after mom stopped paying the credit cards. And I stayed in rehab from September 16, 2006 until at least July 11, 2007. And I didn't really work much while I was in there, only part-time jobs. I'm actually a nurse and I had to go to rehab due to my participation in a state peer assistance program for nurses with substance abuse issues. Anywho, so I didn't make any payments on the credit cards for the longest time. I have paid off every one of these credit cards except for one, and this one is suing me, and they really won't explain anything to me. They said if I set up payment arrangements, I'll still be sued, and something will show up on my credit report for 10 years. I don't understand that when I know that bankruptcy only shows up for 7 years. Could someone give me any information or advice on what to do? I have proof that I was in rehab for that long, and it was in a city 3 hours to where my home was. I didn't get a chance to file any type of medical deferment because I was herded around like a sheep for almost a whole year, and afterwards, they stopped sending me any type of mail. I actually didn't hear anything from the people that are suing me (that I know of) until I got a summons from the sheriff's office saying that I have go there for something, but I couldn't go because I'm in school 5 days a week, and work 40 hours a week also. It's just a big mess. They told me the law office who was suing me, and what account it had originally been. And the person who I spoke with on the phone was extremely rude and wouldn't really tell me what was going on. I'm sorry, but I haven't been sued before, and don't know all the legal terms when she's blurting one out after another. Any advice? I mean, it's only $1900. I can't pay it all right at this moment, but they told me that if I set up payment arrangements, it's not going to make a difference or something. I just don't know what to do... please help me =/:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back