Getting Sued But I Paid W/Proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcantCme

I had a debt from A Department store that I had for 10+ years. I decided to pay it off by contacting the law firm that purchased the debt. I made arrangements to pay the debt off by contacting the collector. I sent them a check for the payoff and the same day the check cleared my bank account they filed suit against me. Now I haven't contacted an attorney but don't want this to go on my credit any more than it already has. But wondered If I did hire an attorney maybe they can help It not show on my report as a judgement since I paid the debt w/out any delays mind you It's not like it bounced than they sued me they assumed it could bounce and filed suit. Do I still have to go to court since I have documentation from the law firm I'm at a 0 balance and bank statements showing that the check cleared my bank. And will contacting an attorney make a difference I don't want to rack up anymore unecessary bills. Thanks in advance for your help :D

This could be a mistake. You may want to write a letter and send certified return receipt with a copy of your canceled check advising them of their mistake. Per your agreement you had paid off the loan but, nevertheless, after they cashed the check they still proceeded to file suit for a debt that ceased to exist. Tell them you need for them to confirm with you in writing that they have withdrawn the suit or else you will need to formally answer the complain and from that point you will need to charge them with expenses. You appreciate their timeliness in handling the matter and resolving it quickly. That would seem prudent.

Originally posted by UcantCme
I had a debt from A Department store that I had for 10+ years. I decided to pay it off by contacting the law firm that purchased the debt. I made arrangements to pay the debt off by contacting the collector. I sent them a check for the payoff and the same day the check cleared my bank account they filed suit against me. Now I haven't contacted an attorney but don't want this to go on my credit any more than it already has. But wondered If I did hire an attorney maybe they can help It not show on my report as a judgement since I paid the debt w/out any delays mind you It's not like it bounced than they sued me they assumed it could bounce and filed suit. Do I still have to go to court since I have documentation from the law firm I'm at a 0 balance and bank statements showing that the check cleared my bank. And will contacting an attorney make a difference I don't want to rack up anymore unecessary bills. Thanks in advance for your help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back