Getting settlement enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaDW

Settlement was signed May 2011. Divorce finalized June 6 2011. Spouse has not turned over ownership of Life Insurance to me yet. The first paperwork he sent to Life Insurance people (I signed and filled out first and mailed to him to sign) he added beneficiaries I did not want without my knowledge so papers had to be signed again. He insists he sent more paperwork in and Life Insurance people are 'dumb'. I called them and they have not recieved any paperwork. They cannot tell me anything since I am not the owner.
How do I enforce this? He wrote the settlement. Divorce took 3 years and I just want this over. I no longer have an attorney.

Settlement was signed May 2011. Divorce finalized June 6 2011. Spouse has not turned over ownership of Life Insurance to me yet. The first paperwork he sent to Life Insurance people (I signed and filled out first and mailed to him to sign) he added beneficiaries I did not want without my knowledge so papers had to be signed again. He insists he sent more paperwork in and Life Insurance people are 'dumb'. I called them and they have not recieved any paperwork. They cannot tell me anything since I am not the owner.
How do I enforce this? He wrote the settlement. Divorce took 3 years and I just want this over. I no longer have an attorney.

You can't enforce it.

You are powerless to do anything to him, or anyone else, just as I.

Only the judge that signed the order (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) has the power to hold him in contempt, which sometimes cause people to comply.

How do you start that ball rolling?

You go back to court and file a contempt motion.

Usually, by the time you go to the effort and expense of that, the unwilling often relent.

Other, more recalcitrant types, actually go to court and fight over it.

He does have the right to mount a defense to your allegations.

That takes more time and resources.

So, if this means that much to you, and he hates you enough; this thing can drag on for many more months, even years!

Good luck.

Thank you.
The Life Insurance is all I got in the divorce so it is extremely important (he got the business, the LLC...a medical building....the house short sold and he liquidated my retirement) after 30 years of marriage! It was domestic abuse/violence.
I am going to file a contempt motion tomorrow. Thanks again.

Thank you.
The Life Insurance is all I got in the divorce so it is extremely important (he got the business, the LLC...a medical building....the house short sold and he liquidated my retirement) after 30 years of marriage! It was domestic abuse/violence.
I am going to file a contempt motion tomorrow. Thanks again.

I wish you well, madam. I wouldn't be surprised if this abusive bum fought you tooth and nail. Who knows, he might just give in when he sees the court summons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back