Getting nonpaying family member out of house

S

SFerg

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My Father-In-Law was welcomed to live with my husband and I until he "got back on his feet" financially. He moved into our house in March and we are giving him until Nov to move out as he now currently has a job and government aid. Because of the terrible decisions he's been making both in his past and while staying with us, I'm very afraid that he won't move out by Nov 1st. I want to know what we can legally do to get him to move out if he doesn't by then. He doesn't pay rent, any bills, or contribute to the household financially what-so-ever and no agreement was ever made about how he would earn his "keep." We thought about renting a moving truck and physically moving his things out to the truck and then changing the locks, but are not sure if touching his things is illegal. Please help! We never knew opening up our home and hearts would be such a kick in the teeth!!

The easiest way to entice a deadbeat to leave, is offer IT bread crumbs to leave voluntarily.

I've seen $50 do it, $100, $200, and more.

Create a document indicating that for $XXX David Deadbeat will voluntarily leave the abode of Mr. & Mrs. Good Samaritan, removing all of ITS precious junk, and voluntarily agreeing to do so on August 21st, 2016 at 3:00 PM; in return for such act, Mr. & Mrs. Good Samaritan will hold David Deadbeat harmless, not take any other remedies which might harm David Deadbeat, in addition to GIFTING David Deadbeat with a friendship honorarium of $XXX.

Don't give IT the GIFT until IT and ITS junk are off your property.

Otherwise, your not legal remedy is to evict IT.
That is a lengthy (maybe 10-12 weeks or more), time consuming, and requires you to spend whatever court fees and costs in your county to try to evict IT.

Back