Getting money back from roofing company

Jacklex

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hi,

A few months ago, the house next door was sold and had a new roof. I asked the contractor how much to do mine and he gave me a price verbally- $6000.

Recently got a letter from my home insurance saying they are cancelling me because of age of roof - 16 years. I feel I have a few more years, but have a low hurricane deductible, so I started getting estimates. I got about 7. I called this company. I reminded them of the quote and said I understand materials have increased and would like a current estimate. They said they could still do it for $6000. This is 33% lower than any of the estimates I received. I verified verbally that that included the same things as the other estimates.

They said they would come by my house Wed with a notice of commencement that I would have to get notarized and they would do the roof first thing this week. They would need payment up front of half. I verified his license is active. and checked reviews. I found a couple bad older reviews. Not showing for an estimate and a roof repair that did not go good, but nothing about taking people's money.

They came by. Gave me a very basic estimate/contract that had minimal things listed as far as materials. States re-roof. 25-year shingle, and haul off all debris. Pull permits. He said he would have to bring the commencement paperwork by in the morning (Thurs) as he did not have it with him. Gave him a check for $3000. I did not sign anything other than the check. He also asked me to just use his name on the check and not put the roofing part on there as it is easier for him to deposit. Should have known better after that.

Thursday, no show, no phone call. Check clears my bank first thing in the morning. Friday, no show, no call. I call one of the estimators for the other companies and ask him if he knows anything about this company. He says the guy used to work there and he would not let him roof his doghouse. I tell him the situation and he tells me I can kiss my money good-bye. He says the materials will cost more than $6000 and there is no way this company can do it for that price. I call city and no building permit has been pulled. I then called the company and record the conversation verifying the cost and warranty and specifies of materials. I state no one has brought by the form I need to have notarized and they state they will be by and are still going to be on schedule for the first of this week. Today (Mon) no call or form to sign.

I am having very bad feelings about this company and really would rather just pay the extra money to a company that is not so shady and I do not have to worry whether my money is stolen or if they are going to drag this out to where my insurance cancels anyway next month.

Since I did not sign a contract or anything other than my check, what can I do to cancel this and get my money back? I just don't need the aggravation and should have known better. Do I need to get an attorney and if so, what type?

Since I did not sign a contract or anything other than my check, what can I do to cancel this and get my money back?

You can't cancel what never was.
That is the crook SCAMMED you.
You can file a small claims case against the SCAMMER.
However, even if you prevail, you MIGHT be unable to collect a dollar.

You can report the SCAM to your local law enforcement agency.
They might be able to help.

Your Florida Attorney General, Ashley Moody, might be able to help, if you qualify:

Florida Attorney General - Senior Protection Team

Do I need

An attorney is as helpless as you are in this matter.

Your local police or sheriff, state AG, or even local media might be able to assist you in regaining SOME or even ALL of your funds.

How about an alternate possibility? Perhaps the guy is going to do the roof and you'll be perfectly happy. It's possible that that estimator for the other company has a grudge.

How about an alternate possibility? Perhaps the guy is going to do the roof and you'll be perfectly happy. It's possible that that estimator for the other company has a grudge.

That is certainly a better outcome.

My only worry would become, has dude "ghosted" me?

I hope my scenario is the outcome, but the OP is wise to be concerned.

That is certainly a better outcome.

My only worry would become, has dude "ghosted" me?

OMG! I just looked up this guy in the county court records. There are about 70 cases against him. I am not sure they all are him as not all have his middle initial, but I am sure a lot of them are him.

How can this guy not have bad reviews on the web?

OMG! I just looked up this guy in the county court records. There are about 70 cases against him. I am not sure they all are him as not all have his middle initial, but I am sure a lot of them are him.

How can this guy not have bad reviews on the web?

Well, a lot of them are banks suing him, lumber companies, mortgage foreclosures and traffic tickets. Still does not inspire confidence. I feel worse now than I did earlier.

OMG! I just looked up this guy in the county court records. There are about 70 cases against him.

Is it too late to stop pay on the check?

My knowledge of contractors, as a consumer (scores of projects) and insurance pro, over the last 40 years, throughout many states and thousands of claims, leads me to the inescapable conclusion that your scenario has a one chance in one billion of success.

I would be happy to be proven wrong.

My knowledge of contractors, as a consumer (scores of projects) and insurance pro, over the last 40 years, throughout many states and thousands of claims, leads me to the inescapable conclusion that your scenario has a one chance in one billion of success.
Thank you for such a generous estimate.

Is it too late to stop pay on the check?

I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I gave him that check on Wed after 5pm. He must have went straight to my bank and cashed it first thing Thursday as when I checked about 10:00 on Thursday, it was already deducted from my account.

I fear I am screwed.

I gave him that check on Wed after 5pm. He must have went straight to my bank and cashed it first thing Thursday as when I checked about 10:00 on Thursday, it was already deducted from my account.

But did you ask about stopping payment? Or just accepted that it was deducted?

But did you ask about stopping payment? Or just accepted that it was deducted?

I did not. At that time, I still had hope I was getting a good deal on a roof. Like Zigner said. I am pretty sure the bank can't do anything once the money has changed hands. I guess law enforcement and small claims court will be my only hopes.

Can't believe I was this stupid. Had a lot of things on my mind and did not think it through.

I did not. At that time, I still had hope I was getting a good deal on a roof. Like Zigner said. I am pretty sure the bank can't do anything once the money has changed hands. I guess law enforcement and small claims court will be my only hopes.

Can't believe I was this stupid. Had a lot of things on my mind and did not think it through.

You're not stupid.

You trusted the wrong person.

Contact your Florida AG, local police, or sheriff.

If all else fails, you might be able to use this:

Florida Attorney General - Application for Victims Compensation

If you're 60 years or older, the state will help make you whole!!!

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-8CVP5T/$file/BVCVictimCompensationBrochure.pdf

I fear I am screwed.
Then the check wasn't written to a company or business name. Those checks have to be deposited.

Was the check written to an individual?

Then the check wasn't written to a company or business name. Those checks have to be deposited.

Was the check written to an individual?
Yes, it was written to an individual, per the OP.

Thanks for all the suggestions! They did show up today and a couple guys are on the roof right now. Hopefully everything goes well and it does not rain in the next couple of days. I jumped the gun on this one it seems. My trust level is not very high these days. Mods feel free to delete this thread if you wish. I would have posted sooner, but my message limit was 5 in 24 hours.

Thanks for all the suggestions! They did show up today and a couple guys are on the roof right now. Hopefully everything goes well and it does not rain in the next couple of days. I jumped the gun on this one it seems. My trust level is not very high these days. Mods feel free to delete this thread if you wish. I would have posted sooner, but my message limit was 5 in 24 hours.

You are one of the luckiest people on this forum. This thread should be kept for no other reason than to give others hope.

Last edited:
Back