Getting custody back

Evans0626

Jurisdiction
Florida
I have 5 children in 2012 my children were taken from me due to an aligation consuring one of my children, My children were not with me for 3 days visiting family when what ever occured.I was accused of an alligation only because i couldent elxplain how it happened... I had to go to court to do a case plan which i did i also got supervised visitation with them which i completed then moved on to unsupervised visits, My grandmother and I dont see eye to eye she trys so hard for me to be a mother to my children wants control, I ended up getting arrested 2weeks befor my reuionfication with my children there for she was awarded temp custody and my last baby father sole custody of my last his son, which him and i are still together trying to get the four home. Since then she makes it hard for me to spend time with them or anything, til this day i still have few contact with them due to her. Although this all occured 2012-2013, We have moved to indiana and are trying to get the family back my grandparents are to old to take care of them there in and out of the hospitals and having health problems the children are ready to come home with there lil brother. is there anyway we could get visitation for them and work on custody for them, My fiance ( The father of the last baby) and I are working hard to get them home.

If you were to initiate an action contesting the custody of the current guardians it would have to be in Florida.

You can call and speak to lawyers in the county where the children reside.

It will be expensive.

It won't be quick.

You are entitled to a court hearing on the matter, presuming proper documents and pleadings are filed.

After 6 years living with their grandparents I doubt that any court would be inclined to wrest custody from their loving grandparents, but yours free to HIRE an attorney to have the matter adjudicated.

I suspect you will need about $10,000 to $15,000 to seek reunification.

Good luck and dig deep.

There is a whole lot missing from this story. Why were the children taken? Did a court grant guardianship to your grandmother? When? Why were you arrested and what came of that arrest (charges dropped, convicted, plea deal...)? When did you last see these children? Where are there fathers? Why would you move 15-16 hours away from your kids if your goal was to reunite with them? Why is it in the best interest of the children to leave their caregivers for the past 6 years and move to a different state with their mother who has some sort of criminal record? The kids wanting to live with their little brother or even with you is not going to cut it. Further, your "fiance" is not going to go in the plus column. If you had a stable marriage that might help but and on again, off again guy/guy you have been with for many years but have not married, with whom you fathered a child out of wedlock and is now a "fiance" isn't.

The above poster is correct that this is not a DIY project and you really need to hire a family law attorney in Florida to guide you through this. I'd say the $10K-$15K estimate is conservative, not to mention the expense of traveling back and forth to Florida.

Back