Getting a key to a vehicle in your name but not in your possession

Jcarpenter0109

My ex of 7 years and I split up last year. We were civil and weren't out to get each other. We owned a truck in both of our names. It was his truck and he made the payments. The loan was a 0% loan. At the time he offered to refinance it out of my name. I said that was it was ok because there was not reason for him to have to start paying interest (big mistake!). He lost his job this last February and has been behind ever since. He refuses to sell it but can't afford. I won't make the payments on a truck I don't have and want to go take it until he can catch it up or will sell it. I was told if I took a copy of the contract with the bank to the dealer lot they would have to make me a key. Is this accurate?

Ex spouse or ex-boyfriend? If spouse, what does your divorce decree say about the vehicle? If your name is on the loan, is it also on the title? Those are very different things. Before you go running to the dealer to get a key made so you can take the truck, you need to be sure your name is actually currently on the title. Even then, I would rethink this approach.

Back