Gender based insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tspott

Why does the law allow insurance companies to base their premiums on the gender of the driver rather than their driving record? I am a 19 year old male with a perfect driving record (0 citations, 0 accidents with 3 & 1/2 years driving experience) and i pay more than double for full coverage insurance than my girlfriend (18 years old) who has had 2 accidents, one in which case her vehicle was totaled. I've heard that statistically insurance companies pay out more on males than they do females and thus base their premiums on this. I understand why they should be allowed to do this with unexperienced drivers, but i question they're right to do this after a person has proven themselves a safe driver (less risk). Is this sexual discrimination? Should they not base their premiums on good driving records for drivers under 21? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Because IN GENERAL males under 25 have more accidents than females under 25. The fact that you have a better driving record than your girlfriend is not enough to put a dent in the actuarial statistics.

I see. Do you suppose that writing a letter of complaint to the state insurance commissioner could possibly help in getting my rate lowered? I'm also still curious as to if this discrimination is legal although it does have statistics supporting it. Regardless of what statistics may show "generally" about underage male drivers, they are not evaluating me as an individual but denying me a better rate based on my sex. Since you do have a legal background CBG i'm very interested to what your opinion regarding this as a legal matter would be. Thanks again for your response and your time.

Yes, this is legal.

I seriously doubt that if you write to the state insurance commissioner he will order your insurance carrier to lower your rates. But you're welcome to try.

Well after doing some investigation on how auto insurance companies base their premiums, i've seen nothing regarding gender of the client. Thanks for your time cbg, i'll look eslewhere for some more thorough explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back