Gas company obligating me to pay bill in roomates name

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughie22

Can the gas company obligate me to pay a gas bill that was in my roomates name. We had an arrangement whereby I was responsible for some of the utilities and he was responsible for the gas bill. When he left, he closed his account. I called to have the gas put in my name and they told me I would have to pay his bill. I don't live in the same place anymore, but they are still trying to tack his bill on mine. I have tried to deal with the public utility commission but they say since I used the gas too, I have to pay. How can I be obligated to pay someone else's debt?

Apparently in your state, if you share the heat, you share the debt.

If you pay the bill you may be able to seek compensation from the ex-roommate.

Have you tried contacting the ex-roomie and asking for the bill to be paid?

If it isn't a large amount then your simplest option is to just pay it. As mentioned above, it's not as if you didn't use the gas.

army judge -- there is nothing specifically in the RI General Laws that says ths

I am in pretty much the same situation and have requested a hearing with the Public Utilities Commission.

The RI General Laws are available online -- and I can find nowhere stating that it is okay for the gas company to do this. I think perhaps because the laws are vague is why they are getting away with this.

Apparently, they are billing me and the person who SOLELY held the account in their name for the same amount (that equals twice the amount, not the amount owed!).

In no other situation in this country is someone able to open an account solely in their name, close it, never pay a dime on it, and get to have the responsibility shifted to another person. No other company can bill for the same amount to two different people. Mark my words, I am not going to shut up until these laws change.

If we share the responsibility, then they should split the bill! They don't have the power to split it but they have the power to bill two people the same amount, or let someone open and close and account and never pay a dime?

I will go to my grave never paying someone else's bill! I paid all the other bills and made my ex roommate (happened to be my boyfriend) put something in his name so I would not be responsible for everything. He had the heat shut off in January when it was 9 degrees out, the gas company took advantage of the situation and made me take on the entire amount before they would turn the gas on. Supposedly they are still billing him for the same amount. That is double billing. They made it impossible for me to bring the matter to court with my ex -- I sent a subpoena for records and they ignored it.

They will continue to try to pressure people into giving in. I'm never going to. It's pathetic. Even though I don't owe any of it, I told them I would agree to half to make it go away -- no response. They have my account in collections for the total amount the roommate owed, so this is no hypothetical amount, and they are double billing -- that can't be legal.

The BIGGER lesson here is to avoid any roommate situation.

If 50% (or more) of marriages fall apart, one can only wonder how many roommate situations erode.

In the dissolution of marriages, despite laws dictating how marriages should be dissolved, finances often become an issue.

I see money disputes more often than not in roommate situations.

My unsolicited advice to everyone is never, never, never, never become involved with any roommate.

You are right that the bill should be shared- but the gas company does not have to get half from you and half from the roommate. They want payment in full from either of you.

If you pay the full amount then you could seek reimbursement from your ex roomie, through small claims if necessary.

You could contact your states regulatory of energy, gas, water, phone offices and file a complaint.

bluemann33 -- I have filed and have an informal hearing coming up, and will demand a formal hearing. I cannot wait, and will post an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back