Garnishment - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lidetmek

Hi,
I have a federal student loan that is in default and now It is in garnishment process. I have to submit a Financial hardship letter. They asked me to pay $330 which I can't afford right now. I ask if I can pay $150 and they said no. Now I'm trying to make sure that the amount they take from my paycheck it's not an exorbent amount. Here is my question to anyone that can please help me:
on the financial hardship letter it asks for any contributing household memebrs infomation income and SS#. I live with my boyfriend and son's father. He pays for 1/2 of daycare and 1/2 of all the needs for our son. We signed a lease together and have a bank account together but we are not married. He does not want to disclose his personal information. Am I Obligated to disclose this information?
Please someone help? I have to turn this form in in the next few days.

Thanks

Hi,
I have a federal student loan that is in default and now It is in garnishment process. I have to submit a Financial hardship letter. They asked me to pay $330 which I can't afford right now. I ask if I can pay $150 and they said no. Now I'm trying to make sure that the amount they take from my paycheck it's not an exorbent amount. Here is my question to anyone that can please help me:
on the financial hardship letter it asks for any contributing household memebrs infomation income and SS#. I live with my boyfriend and son's father. He pays for 1/2 of daycare and 1/2 of all the needs for our son. We signed a lease together and have a bank account together but we are not married. He does not want to disclose his personal information. Am I Obligated to disclose this information?
Please someone help? I have to turn this form in in the next few days.

Thanks

Not only are you NOT obligated to disclose his personal information, you're bound to honor his refusal.

These sound like scavenger debt collectors, not DOE (federal employees).

Your "sweetie" doesn't owe this debt.

His funds should not go to repaying it.

In fact, you might only owe the debt.

There might NOT be a judgment allowing them to levy against your wages and bank account.

You might want to consider filing bankruptcy.

Although a BK won't forever stop this type of collection, it can unencumber you from other debts and buy you time to work out an arrangement on this debt.

However, I suggest he immediately obtain his own bank account.
Or, you obtain yours, separate and part from his.

This will eventually get dirty.
They will not stop with the $300 you give them.
They sometimes turn around and take every dime in your personal accounts!

Have you been sued over this?
If you haven't, you aren't obligated to pay these crooks a dime.
Only a judge can order you to pay a debt.
Even then you aren't required to pay, if you don't have it.
Be advised, if you defy a judge, there are other ways that the judgment holder can make your life unpleasant.

BTW, how much is alleged that you owe these creeps?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back