Garnishment Garnishment notice on closed account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandidly

I received a garnishment notice today delivered by the sheriff but the garnishee is an account I closed 3 years ago. I am disabled and this debt was caused by my being disabled and going several years without any income at all. my current SS income goes into the prepaid ss card the govt offers and is my only income, I have no assets and on my income tax this year had to fill out insolvency papers because of discharged student loans. I am insolvent btw, and idk what to do about receiving this notice because the only claim of exemption forms I can find are for wages only. do I even need to do anything about this since the account was closed 3 yrs ago and I don't have any garnishable wages anywhere else? ty in advance for your help!

I don't see how they can garnish any income if the account is closed.

Thank you for answering! I wasn't sure how they could either but I've never had one of these before so I wanted to make sure. Do you know if I need to do anything with the writ or to answer it in someway considering the circumstances?

Whatever you do, don't speak directly to these scammers.

The SOL may prevent what they are trying to do, rip you off.

Read this link:

http://www.alabamaconsumer.com/2012...te-of-limitations-expires-violates-the-fdcpa/

See if that fits your situation, then defend that lawsuit.

If, there is a lawsuit, don't allow it default into a win for the scammers.

If its just a notice of a lawsuit that already defaulted, read that link.

There are remedies.

Educate yourself, so you can defend yourself.

I received a garnishment notice today delivered by the sheriff but the garnishee is an account I closed 3 years ago. I am disabled and this debt was caused by my being disabled and going several years without any income at all. my current SS income goes into the prepaid ss card the govt offers and is my only income, I have no assets and on my income tax this year had to fill out insolvency papers because of discharged student loans. I am insolvent btw, and idk what to do about receiving this notice because the only claim of exemption forms I can find are for wages only. do I even need to do anything about this since the account was closed 3 yrs ago and I don't have any garnishable wages anywhere else? ty in advance for your help!

I agree entirely with the above but... what's the nature of the debt? If it's a regular creditor, then yes - you're classed as "judgment proof". If it's a government debt though, that's a different animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back