Garden dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

gem_

Hi everyone

Please can someone help me - i have a big problem where as I own my home and since last year I have been trying to contact my neighbour who lives in scotland but owns the house next door which he obviously rents out. The problem I have is that he has a huge bamboo plant which the roots have come up into the bottom part of my garden which is concreted. When they are at their highest they are about 2ft tall and spreading rapidly.

Having spoken to the owner a few times last year the problem still remains as he has done nothing about it. All I need to know is am I correct in thinking he is responsible legally for the cost of having these roots removed for me. Also would he be liable for the cost of redoing my patio.

PLEASE HELP ME - :mad:

Send him a certified letter, return receipt stating the problem and the cost, get a couple of estimates to remove the roots and fix the concrete. Also, take photos of the damages and send him copies and keep for your records. Some police departments have a type of liaison that helps neighbors resolve disputes, maybe they can help you or steer you in the right direction. In your letter you may want to mention that if this is not resolved by such and such a time (make sure it's reasonable), you will consult a lawyer and/or file suit in small claims court. to recoup the money spent. Legally you can remove the roots that are on your property, but if the tree dies you may be liable for killing it. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back