Copyright Gameplays on YouTube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, I've recently posted some gameplays of Assassins Creed 3 on YouTube. Two of the videos have been marked with copyright claims by YouTube's automated system for infringing on the developer's audiovisual content and for the rest (about 10) I have tried to monetize them but YouTube has asked for proof of commercial use rights. The gameplays are about 10-30 min each and have no commentary from me or added music/sound and have not been edited (it looks and sounds exactly how it did when I played it; it also has any glitches that happened during the gameplay). Each video contains gameplay by me and most contain cut scenes. The game is an open world game meaning that when you aren't doing a mission you can move around the map freely and you usually have a choice in what mission you want to do when. You can also choose what to take with you on the mission (weapons) and when you are doing a mission can usually choose from many different ways to complete the objective. That means that besides the cut scenes (which are the same no matter what) it is almost impossible for someone else to replicate exactly what happened. I read something saying that fair use can be claimed if you are sharing an experience and am thinking that is my best choice for how to claim that I have commercial use rights but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if there is a way I can provide proof commercial use rights and how. YouTube splits up the categories for the submission into "my video contains only my original content", "I have an online licensee for some or all of my content" and "I have written permission to use some or all of my content". If there isn't a way I could use these videos then is there anything I could change in future videos to be able to. Hopefully someone knows if I can do anything about this. Thanks in advance.

I would expect the copyright claim is as legitimate as if you had recorded a portion of a tv show or movie.
You will likely find a statement regarding the copyright on the box of the game or in the documentation that comes with it.... it iwll be that itty bitty writing nobody ever reads.

im assuming by that you mean that i cant use it. Anyway, i looked at the case and it sent me to their website but i couldnt find any legal info about the game (just tos for the site) is there anything I can do in future videos to make them usable? I know there are other people who do videos (some even of the same game) that seem to be monetized. Could I mabie do somthing like call it a tutorial (since technicaly it does show you how to complete the missions) and would editing out the cut scenes make any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back