Game copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDLS

This is concerning copyright laws within a game. The game in question is called Cantr. The issue is as follows:
In game if a character creates something, written or visual, does the person controlling the character have any rights to that item? Everything in the game is player created, no real world items are allowed, so all of it is player created.

Here is an example:
Character A creates a document about the island (s)he is on and player B comes along and finds that document. Player B takes that document and claims it as his/her own, makes copies, additions, so on, and redistributes it without mention or permission of the creator of it.

Now, in that example, is that legal to do, from copyright standpoint. I know it may sound stupid but its a question that is coming up now due to the content of the game. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The link to the game is
www.cantr.net

CDLS said:
This is concerning copyright laws within a game. The game in question is called Cantr. The issue is as follows:
In game if a character creates something, written or visual, does the person controlling the character have any rights to that item? Everything in the game is player created, no real world items are allowed, so all of it is player created.

Here is an example:
Character A creates a document about the island (s)he is on and player B comes along and finds that document. Player B takes that document and claims it as his/her own, makes copies, additions, so on, and redistributes it without mention or permission of the creator of it.

Now, in that example, is that legal to do, from copyright standpoint. I know it may sound stupid but its a question that is coming up now due to the content of the game. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The link to the game is
www.cantr.net
Wow... that's a really good question. First of all, where is the content being created. From the site I gather they have a department for everything but legal!!!

My honest answer... I really don't know. I would guess that without the site claiming any ownership of the content, the creator might be able to claim that his work is an original work of authorship in a fixed mode of expression. You could always type up your stories in a word processor first so that before you even post them online, you have accomplished this task clearly separate from the game. You may want to put a (c) symbol at the end of your entries to prevent others from getting ideas about using your entries although that's a risk you take by volunteering your entries as part of a game.

That's a great question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back