Gambling From Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfetundra

I live in Shasta Co., California. I run a card table out of my home for my friends. On occasion, my friends will bring someone with them. Table "rules" and "min/max bet" are clearly displayed. I only play as a "dealer" and we play with US currency for "keeps" (exchanged for chips during play). Someone recently suggested I read up on "PC 337j". In doing so, I found some very interesting information.

In reference to Penal Code 337j;

Article e, section 1, it states "As used in this section, "controlled game" means any poker

or Pai Gow game, and any other game played with cards or tiles, or both, and approved by the Department of Justice, and any game of chance, including any gambling device, played for currency, check, credit, or any other thing of value that is not prohibited and made unlawful by statute or local ordinance."

However, it goes on to say in section 1 sub-section D, "As used in this section, "controlled game" does not include any of the following: Games played with cards in private homes or residences, in

which no person makes money for operating the game, except as a player."

Am I to understand that I am able to operate a Blackjack table with clearly visible "rules and min/max bet" out of my residence provided I personally do not recieve any moneys for running the table (playing as dealer ["house"])? Or does that mean I cannot be "paid" for being a dealer? The definition of "makes money for operating the game" is not clearly defined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back