Assault & Battery Future in jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekntrouble

Hi i recently received a misdemeanor charge for assault. I am worried because 8 years ago i received 2 misdemeanors in another state. I had to hire a lawyer who got my charges reduced down. He actually told me that i needed him since i had 2 charges simultaneously to get that accomplished. Anyhow even tho i have 0 misdemeanors on my record will this come up in the new case that i was once CHaRGED w/ a previous misdemeanor? Also what are the negative aspects of having a misdemeanor on your record? I would like to attend Grad school one day and maybe even become a teacher. Is my future in jeopardy? Also i don't know if i should hire a private lawyer again, it seemed like he didn't do much, all he did was say something briefly about me and that i would agree to do community service and pay restitution. Why wouldn't a court appointed lawyer do the same? Or even just defend myself? The case is really a joke there was no intent to injure anyone and no one did get injured, but the bottom line is thats the charge at hand. I can't see how difficult it would be to get this reduced to a disorderly conduct or somethign like that, pay a fine and go home. However i am not sure for the above reasons stated, thus my reason for posting to this site. Thanks for any replies!

Last edited:
They might be able to look into your past and use your incidents as priors. If you decide to go in, you may qualify for Public Defender, and they would be able to give you your options. If your record shows nothing, then this will be as a first offence so you could plead it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back