Fry’s electronics laptop

Joshua lasseff

Jurisdiction
California
i bought two $2000 laptops last year, for me and my wife.the first bill was in the mail easy.then they sent it by email without asking my permission and i missed the second payment. my msi laptop has broken down several times do to hardwAre issues . Harddrive,internal battery (not the kind you can just take out your self without voiding the warranty),keyboard ect. Each time fry's sends it to the manufacturer and it takes a month. This last time was for the battery but it still wont hold a charge and shuts off as soon as i unplug it. Ive refused to pay the monthly bill a few times because of this. They have had my laptop almost as long as I've had it in my own position . Long story short my bill was suppose to be about 60 a month , naw they want $781 minimum payment and my balance is over $5000 Ive payed little over $1000 trying to catch up . Naw theres no way i can afford this.
I would like a new laptop and my payments to be back to normal and the money I've already given them to be put towords my laptops not interest and late fees only. What are my options here??? Please help me!

Pay what you owe. Don't purchase on credit anymore. If you can't pay cash for an item, pass it by.

so they are aloud to stop sending me bills threw the mail and just switch to email without my consent? Cuz this is what started the hole ordeal.
Ok welp, thanks for all the help.

so they are aloud to stop sending me bills threw the mail and just switch to email without my consent? Cuz this is what started the hole ordeal.
Ok welp, thanks for all the help.
No, that was an issue at the beginning of the contract. That issue was resolved and now you are able to make timely payments. This "ordeal" started when you stopped paying your bill to the lender because you weren't happy with the warranty service you were receiving from the manufacturer.

No, that was an issue at the beginning of the contract. That issue was resolved and now you are able to make timely payments. This "ordeal" started when you stopped paying your bill to the lender because you weren't happy with the warranty service you were receiving from the manufacturer.
Actually i dont see how it was resolved when the first missed payment started the hole mess making the minimum payments higher . The original contract was for 1 year of non interest payments and after the first missed payment (because of them switching me to paperless billing without my consent is kinda unfair. I dont see how you think enything was resolved.

Actually i dont see how it was resolved when the first missed payment started the hole mess making the minimum payments higher . The original contract was for 1 year of non interest payments and after the first missed payment (because of them switching me to paperless billing without my consent is kinda unfair. I dont see how you think enything was resolved.

It's on YOU to make sure they payment is made on time. What if the bill had gotten lost in the mail?

Did you discuss the issue of the missed payment? I tend to find that most of the time the vendor is usually understanding about a one time problem, especially if there is a switch in the notification method.

Did you discuss the issue of the missed payment? I tend to find that most of the time the vendor is usually understanding about a one time problem, especially if there is a switch in the notification method.

The OP said, "Ive refused to pay the monthly bill a few times because of this."

He is trying to deal with a warranty problem by not paying his bill.

The OP said, "Ive refused to pay the monthly bill a few times because of this."
He is trying to deal with a warranty problem by not paying his bill.
Agreed and thanks for the reminder and it is a good point. I mention discussion because Fry's is a well known retailer and I recall them having a good support team that can explain the situation clearly.

Many are reasonably good at remedying something small, e.g. not making a payment on time the first time it occurs. They often have generous return policies when an issue arises early on, such as within the first month after sale. They may have the ability to accept the defective merchandise and provide either a return or replacement. Once that window has passed, the terms of the warranty and service are between the purchaser and the manufacturer. I don't know if Fry's agrees to handle defective merchandise on behalf of the manufacturer but my understanding is that there is no reason why you, the purchaser, cannot deal directly with the manufacturer for a warranted item or whether Fry's is also a service center for these items. Either way, unless Fry's is doing something wrong, the issue of the defective laptop is between the purchaser and the manufacturer, as was pointed out above by @adjusterjack .

Refusing to pay the bill to the seller isn't going to extract a new laptop from them since they have long passed off their responsibility to the manufacturer. And given there is already a finance agreement in place with all the terms and conditions spelled out clearly, it unfortunately only hurts the purchaser. From my experience, $2,000 per laptop usually includes some type of express service and it's something you should look into.

Back