Friends took over my home

ThompsonEads

Jurisdiction
Washington
What I thought was an act of kindness has turned into my worse nightmare. My home had been surrendered in my bankruptcy since I could no longer afford the mortgage after my divorce. foreclosure and my own loss of residence was going to come sooner than later. But I allowed friends to come and stay at my home since I have the room and they had no other option for themselves and their daughters. I didn't have them enter into any agreements, but advised this was to be extremely temporary and in no way long term, in short, don't get comfy, I didn't want roommates or tenants, just a place to stay until they made replacement living arrangements and that the house wasn't going to be mine for much longer. They moved in and took over. I advised to just move in the bare necessities, and they filled my 2 car garage, a 12x16 foot room and two bedrooms......as well as my backyard. They don't pay rent and getting any kind of assistance for the added expenses they are costing me is insulting. To make it even more painful, the husband disregards my house rules and when confronted challenges me on who has more rights and acts like it's his house not mine. Sadly...with how they've taken over, it would appear it's their home and not mine. So, do I go through the steps and formally evict them and enjoy my home for what little time is left, or call the bankruptcy RE and let them know what is happening and that I'm leaving, hopefully be allowed to cancel all utilities to the house,and let the squatters be someone else's problem.

Evicting the squatters is an unnecessary expense at a very stressful time in your life.

Hopefully you've learned to never get tricked by deadbeats.

The BK stay will lift sooner or later.

I suggest you get yourself and your belongings out, shut off the utilities, and be on your merry way.

I wouldn't inform the scammers, but I'd let the BK lawyer for the lender know that you're voluntarily leaving and n what date.

This is actually a blessing, because after BK ends, eviction begins.

You don't want an eviction on your record, so that's why voluntarily leaving ASAP benefits you.

Back