1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Friends no more Vehicle Repossession

Discussion in 'Auto Loans & Vehicle Repossession' started by Tancmm, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Tancmm

Tancmm Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Texas
    Hello
    Well i have/had some friends and the wife brought a car and then they couldn't pay for it and asked me if i wanted the car and i said yes. Since then I've been making the payments and paying for the insurance. Now the husband decided that he don't want his car anymore and wants back the 1 i have. I've paid to get all the damage repaired when they first gave me the car and I've spent a lot of money in it. What can i do to keep the car? Please help me.

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Active Member

Whose wife? Your wife? One of the friends' wives? Brought a car where? Did you mean to say bought?

Was title transferred into your name? Do you have a signed, written agreement to sell the car to you? Is the car worth more or less than $500?

3. mightymoose

mightymoose Well-Known Member

It isn't your car.
    If you feel you have been cheated or are owed money you can seek compensation in small claims court.
    Based on the information you have provided I doubt you would have much success... You made a risky decision to pay for the car and the consequences have caught up.
    I would recommend you return the car and consider your expenses as a lease/rental for the time you had it.

4. Tancmm

Tancmm Law Topic Starter New Member

The title is still in my friend name, no signed agreement and It's worth more than $500.

5. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Nothing. It's not your car. All you have been doing is renting it. Your rental period is over. Give it back.

hrforme likes this.
  6. zddoodah

zddoodah Active Member

Then I agree with "adjusterjack." Contracts for the sale of goods in excess of $500 are generally not enforceable unless they are in writing and signed by the parties.

7. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

If you don't OWN the car, there's NOTHING you can do LEGALLY to stop the owner from taking her/his car.

In order to LEGALLY own a car, you must have had the vehicle PROPERLY titled in YOUR name.

Absent a title in your name, someone other than YOU owns the vehicle.

8. txls

txls Well-Known Member

I agree with the others here. You have been renting a car and now it is time to give it back.