Vehicle Repossession Friends no more

Tancmm

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello
Well i have/had some friends and the wife brought a car and then they couldn't pay for it and asked me if i wanted the car and i said yes. Since then I've been making the payments and paying for the insurance. Now the husband decided that he don't want his car anymore and wants back the 1 i have. I've paid to get all the damage repaired when they first gave me the car and I've spent a lot of money in it. What can i do to keep the car? Please help me.

Well i have/had some friends and the wife brought a car and then they couldn't pay for it and asked me if i wanted the car and i said yes.

Whose wife? Your wife? One of the friends' wives? Brought a car where? Did you mean to say bought?

Since then I've been making the payments and paying for the insurance. Now the husband decided that he don't want his car anymore and wants back the 1 i have. I've paid to get all the damage repaired when they first gave me the car and I've spent a lot of money in it. What can i do to keep the car?

Was title transferred into your name? Do you have a signed, written agreement to sell the car to you? Is the car worth more or less than $500?

It isn't your car.
If you feel you have been cheated or are owed money you can seek compensation in small claims court.
Based on the information you have provided I doubt you would have much success... You made a risky decision to pay for the car and the consequences have caught up.
I would recommend you return the car and consider your expenses as a lease/rental for the time you had it.

Whose wife? Your wife? One of the friends' wives? Brought a car where? Did you mean to say bought?

Was title transferred into your name? Do you have a signed, written agreement to sell the car to you? Is the car worth more or less than $500?
The title is still in my friend name, no signed agreement and It's worth more than $500.

The title is still in my friend name, no signed agreement and It's worth more than $500.

Then I agree with "adjusterjack." Contracts for the sale of goods in excess of $500 are generally not enforceable unless they are in writing and signed by the parties.

What can i do to keep the car?

If you don't OWN the car, there's NOTHING you can do LEGALLY to stop the owner from taking her/his car.

In order to LEGALLY own a car, you must have had the vehicle PROPERLY titled in YOUR name.

Absent a title in your name, someone other than YOU owns the vehicle.

Back