Friend wouldn't pay the money I lent him

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat

A friend borrowed Php 5,000 from me; said he's going to use it to pay his tuition fees. I had him fill out a handwritten from in my notebook showing the amount he borrowed, date borrowed, expected date of payment and his initials. Unfortunately, he hasn't settled his obligations until now... not even a single centavo!

I talked to him several times but he never fulfilled his promises. Now, I learned that he has already moved to another place.

I feel so helpless. Can I report this case to the police? What legal action can I take?

Small Claims

Check the state you are in and see what the limit is on a Smail Claims law suit for your state. Did he move out of the city and/or state? There may be something on line that you can access through your city/county webpage with some information. Or Google small claim law suits and your state's name and see what you can find. It's a civil matter is my understanding, not criminal as he didn't steal the money from you. You would probably win in small claims since you have the documentation. He would have to have documentation that he paid you for the court to find in his favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back