Friend totaled my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohnojoe

I am in upstate new york and earlier this week my friend took my car downtown in the morning and somehow managed to total it, I got a phone call from him and he told me I had to tell the cops I gave him permission to use my vehicle or else he would get in a lot of trouble, so they cop got on the phone and i said I gave him permission and he asked if I wanted to report my car stolen and I said no.

Now that it has sunk in I realize I am now out a vehicle I had just paid off and my insurance wont cover anything to my vehicle because I only had liability on it. So today I went to the police station and told an officer that I had just woken up when I got that phone call and was very groggy and confused because I had taken a sleep aid the night before, that I was so groggy I didn't even consider my self to be sober when I had gotten woken up and did not mean to tell the police he could use my car and would now like to report it stolen. The cop immediately became mad at me and said that I lied to a cop and to come back tomorrow and talk to the investigating officer, and that I may get arrested for obstruction of justice.... my feelings on this is that I would like to make it so my car is reported stolen so my insurance will cover it. I think my friend should be held accountable for his actions and negligence in totaling my recently paid off car.

My questions are... 1. Is what I said over the phone even considered official? Especially if I had just woken up and was groggy and confused by sleep medication and 2. Can I be charged with obstruction of justice if I now say that I never gave permission and I want to report it stolen? or do you think that cop is just trying to scare me off and get out of doing more paper work? I never gave a written statement all I did was tell the officer on the scene over the phone that i let him use it and didn't want to report it stolen! I didn't want to get him in trouble but now Ive changed my mind because Ive realized my insurance will not cover any of it, someone please help!

So, it's okay in your mind to stiff the insurance company?

You're about to open up a can of whupaxx on yoyrself, if carry out your plan.

You could end up being charged with a number of crimes, some even felonies, if you reveal your only motivation is getting your car repaired.

Besides, what kind of "friend" steals your car?

Nothing like that has ever happened to me.

Do whatever you feel you can stand.

But, be warned, once you tell the new lie; you're going to face some very tough interrogation.

Be prepared.

They'll try to break you.

They usually succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back