Friend Involuntary Emergency Committal for suicidal thoughts.... felt rights were violated.

M

ManWithQuestions

Jurisdiction
Illinois
A friend of mine threatened suicide via text message to another friend. We took this friend to the hospital under the assumption that we were taking her there because someone she knew was in the ER. However, when she got there she soon got the news that she wasn't there for a friend, but for her. She didn't say a word to anybody, she got up and tried to leave, but the nurse and doctor told security to stop her from leaving. They restrained her in the lobby of the hospital and even strapped her down on the bed. My heart sank and I felt like something wasn't right. I've heard of police doing this if they see the text messages and feel the person ins danger. It didn't feel right. Again I emphasize, she never said anything to the doctor or nurse directly, only via text message to a friend. Somehow I feel her rights were violated by this hospital and instead we should have called the police for an actual involuntary emergency petition.

You haven't asked a question, but YOU do not have standing to do anything in this case. If SHE feels that her rights have been violated, SHE can give all the facts to an attorney.

I can also see you posting the reverse to this. Same lay out except they allow her to leave the hospital and she kills herself. You would be saying... Shouldn't the hospital be sued because they should have stopped her. They strapped her down for her safety.... their safety... You should be thanking them for caring. They are NOT her friends but instead held her to attempt to clear her mind.

Back