Friend had me use my Paypal account to receive $, and then never sent the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaP

Hi, I need help and advice to find out if I can bring a civil lawsuit (not small claims) against someone who recently stole money from me. I live in Colorado.
Brief Background: (Hopefully I can avoid any judgment as to why I made the decision I clearly regret and just stick to the crime that was committed, thanks).

One of my good friends from childhood lost his high-paying job last year. At the same time, his fiancée and him were going through a custody battle. My father had just died and I came into a small lump of life insurance money. I saved most of it, and decided to use about $3,000 to help him find a new apartment and furnish his daughters' bedroom. He paid me back $500 of it a few months later and still owed me the $2,500. (this is not what I am writing about.)

We haven't talked much since last summer; I graduated and have been working a lot at my first 'real' job. About a month ago, he texted me and asked me to help him. He was trying to sell airline miles (he had tons, he used to travel for work) so he could pay his rent. He wanted to use my Paypal account so he could get the money immediately (I am an amateur eBay seller and have an eBay debit card so I can immediately pull out funds, which he knew). I told him I wasn't interested, and he agreed that he would use $500 of the money to start paying me back for the $2,500 he still owes me. I told him I would help him only if he signed a Promissory Note for the remaining $2,000, which he did.

The mileage broker in another state that my friend had met on Craigslist deposited $2,300 into my Paypal account, and pulled out the $1,800 and gave it to my friend. One week later, the broker emailed me and asked for all of his money back. He said that my friend had logged in to the account and changed the password and then sold the miles again to someone else.
The broker and I spoke on the phone for hours and he understood what had happened, but he said he still had to file a 'claim' against me on Paypal. Paypal found the 'claim' in his favor and set my account to -$2,300. Now I'm being called by Paypal's collections daily.
(There are a lot more details, like his parents calling me and telling me he has gone AWOL, has been robbing places and is now on drugs, which I didn't know. He was actually arrested a week after this all happened for armed robbery, and he is out on bail. But I don't believe that has anything to do with my question here – it's just the reason why it happened. Obviously I made a stupid decision, but now I need to research what my options are.)
I filed a Police Report where I live, and spoke to a Detective a few times last week. He empathized, but he just did NOT grasp how and what Paypal was. He was confused as to why Paypal debited me. He said he asked the DA several times if there was any theft involved, and the DA told him no, stating that I "entered into a business agreement that went sour." I explained that I felt I was bribed (by the offer of him paying me back) as well as stolen from by a "bad-faith" promise.
Obviously, there is a lot of emotion here, being this is a close friend and I went from finally being on top of bills to flat-broke and having collections calling me, so it is hard for me to type this. I am looking for any friendly advice I can get.
My priorities are not to punish my friend. I would like him out of my life – indefinitely, as quickly as possible. My priority is to get my money back. The reason I do NOT want to go to small claims court is because I would like to seek a small amount of punitive damages. I have been completely distraught, been having trouble sleeping, and missed a few days of work because I was beating myself up for letting this happen and dealing with the shock that he has become a criminal and drug addict.
Is it unreasonable for me to ask for those types of damages? (I don't want to feel like I am one of those typical people abusing that request).
Can punitive damages be requested in Small Claims Court? (I heard not)
And my BIGGEST priority – if possible – is that I do not want to represent myself. - I do not want to see my friend or his family. I babysat his nephews, was best friends with his mother and sister throughout high school, and cannot bear the thought of going into a small claims court alone (my friends and family are busy and I wouldn't want them to come deal with all of this mess) while they all stood there.
Because I do not want to represent myself in Small Claims, I want to go to sue him civilly so that I can have a lawyer on court on my behalf (or at least speaking for me while I am present). From my research, I have found it may be possible to sue him for Theft, Fraud, Bribery and Emotional Distress.
So internet world, am I way out of my league here? Is there a way to recoup my funds? Or was the DA right?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate your time.

No, you won't get punitive damages in small claims.

Are you prepared for the highly likely chance of never being able to collect on any judgment?

Hi Proserpina -
Thanks for bringing that up...I am. After a lot of online research I am seeing that collecting in a whole different animal. I am definitely going to re-prioritize why I want to sue him. He did something illegal, and I feel like he should be held accountable. And hey, maybe one day he'll get a job again. Who knows?

Hi Proserpina -
Thanks for bringing that up...I am. After a lot of online research I am seeing that collecting in a whole different animal. I am definitely going to re-prioritize why I want to sue him. He did something illegal, and I feel like he should be held accountable. And hey, maybe one day he'll get a job again. Who knows?

Heres a thought demand repayment or you will file a Police complaint

The codes below appear to be the relevant ones. The problem for you is that you are in the middle of the bad transaction. The victim of the theft is the person who made the $2300 deposit.
Both of you, on the other hand, may be victims of fraud as a result of deception/false pretenses.

Your best chance at recovering anything at all might be from a restitution fund if this results in a criminal conviction.

Talk again with the police detective to see what can be done here. The other party involved has already been reimbursed so he isn't likely to initiate any investigation on his own.

Colorado Revised Statutes

18-4-401:
Theft:
(1) A person commits theft when he knowingly obtains or exercises control over anything of value of another without authorization, or by threat or deception, and:
(a) Intends to deprive the other person permanently of the use or benefit of the thing of value; or....

18-5-301:
Fraud in effecting sales:
(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if, in the course of business, he knowingly:
(b) Sells, offers, or exposes for sale or delivers less than the represented quantity of any commodity or service; or...

Heres a thought demand repayment or you will file a Police complaint

This is a civil matter. The police won't even take a report unless it's from the defendant asserting that OP is trying to extort him/her.

Guys, the DA has already deemed this a civil - and NOT criminal - case.

OP has been answered by an ATTORNEY elsewhere, too.

(There's nothing wrong with that, OP - posting to other forums! - it's just that sometimes the volunteers here don't get all of the relevant information)

If your friend resides in another state, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to serve him, less alone sue him. Why? A Colorado court has no power to compel him to appear to defend a lawsuit filed against him, even in a neighboring state, like Wyoming.

So, you'd have to sue him in the state where he resides. Then, be prepared to travel back and forth, not to get paid, but to possibly receive a U-OWE-ME.
Sorry, you'll probably have to eat this bitter loss.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

This is a civil matter. The police won't even take a report unless it's from the defendant asserting that OP is trying to extort him/her.

Guys, the DA has already deemed this a civil - and NOT criminal - case.

Not necessarily so. This sounds like a good argument for fraud by deception. This could depend a lot on how thorough the investigating officer was and whether the elements for fraud were even presented to the DA. The theft angle doesn't really hold up for the OP, but fraud might. It wouldn't hurt for her to look into whether it was even considered.

My thought was for OP to make a threat of criminal complaint in order to pressure this person into returnng OPs money. Its a ploy OP might think about I am not suggesting there is a criminal complaint here only that OP use it as ruse to recoup lost funds. filing a criminal complaint will not get OP any money especially if there are grounds and person is in jail

My thought was for OP to make a threat of criminal complaint in order to pressure this person into returnng OPs money. Its a ploy OP might think about I am not suggesting there is a criminal complaint here only that OP use it as ruse to recoup lost funds. filing a criminal complaint will not get OP any money especially if there are grounds and person is in jail

I do not mean to argue about your point, so please do not consider my comment as anything directed to you.

I do not advise anyone to use our criminal courts to intimidate anyone into paying them money.

The criminal court system is not the place to address monetary damages or remedies.

Not offended but also dont think you understand. I am not suggesting using courts just using the threat of filing criminal complaint as pressure to return funds

Not offended but also dont think you understand. I am not suggesting using courts just using the threat of filing criminal complaint as pressure to return funds

No, that is why I posted my disclaimer.

I never suggested you intimated or directed anyone to do that.

I understood you completely.

I did not want others to misread your post.

I have noticed that people tend to read ONLY what they wish to see, not the entire post.

That way, they take a post out of context and end up misconstruing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back