Fraudulent collection of TANF by custodial parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingramallen

The mother previously had custody of 2 kids and was collecting TANF in PA. The father states he provided clothing, diapers, food, paid daycare, etc, but never gave cash to the mother. Four years ago, father takes custody of his 2 children and relocates to VA. On a traffic stop, father is informed that PA suspended drivers license for TANF arrears. Father states he had no knowledge of mother receiving TANF. VA has begun garnishing father's paycheck. What is the procedure to have mother investigated for fraud and stop garnishment?

I'm not seeing any fraud.

Could you explain please?

I'm seeing that Mom was on TANF when she had custody. Dad didn't actually pay child support (in the legal sense, anyway). Now the State wants the parent to reimburse them - that's correct and logical.

The mother previously had custody of 2 kids and was collecting TANF in PA. The father states he provided clothing, diapers, food, paid daycare, etc, but never gave cash to the mother. Four years ago, father takes custody of his 2 children and relocates to VA. On a traffic stop, father is informed that PA suspended drivers license for TANF arrears. Father states he had no knowledge of mother receiving TANF. VA has begun garnishing father's paycheck. What is the procedure to have mother investigated for fraud and stop garnishment?

The "father" (and I sue the term rather loosely), didn't support HIS children by allegedly giving mother diapers, clothing, food, etc...BUT NO CASH.

Heck, even if the "father" gave mother CASH, my answer will be the same.

"Father" gave mother gifts, not SUPPORT.

SUPPORT is only considered SUPPORT if it is paid pursuant to a LAWFUL COURT ORDER (as NOT in a NOTARIZED statement, for example).

That is why "father" is seeing his assets confiscated and his wages attached.

I suggest you tell "father" that if he wants out from under this MESS, he retain an attorney.

Even with an attorney representing "father", he's responsible for making good on the back child support that was never paid.

You might also advise "father" to ask his attorney to explain CUSTODY, as it seems "father" thinks custody means POSSESSION.

That is NOT the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back