four floods - no compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuCon2330

There was a total of four floods in the basement while we were living at this apartment. The last one was a big one-busted pipe in the first apartment and flooded 4 our of 5 apartment basements. The others had to do with rain and water coming from upper apartments. Lots of damages to my property - furniture, electrical equipment, clothing, books, and lots of other personal property. After the last big flood, we told the landlord we need compensation and one month living free there would be very reasonable. We didn't pay Sept. rent and was planning on not paying Oct. We told him we would be out by Nov. 1. We told him we weren't going to pay Oct. because he will keep the security deposit. He told me to pay Oct. and he will give us back the security. Of course, we are out and now he says he is not going to give back the security. He said the landlords are not liable for our losses as a result of these floods. What do I do now? Take him to civil court for what we lost? We have no receipts for the damaged good because all of the things were of sentimental value. We do have the letter we had sent him explaining our proposition and what's a reasonable compensation. We were lied to and they do not care about what we lost during these four (4) floods. Is this a lost cause? Please say I can still do something. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back