Foundation Repair Issues

turtle4silver

Jurisdiction
Texas
I purchased a home in September 2013. It is an older home that was purchased and flipped by a company. They had some foundation repairs done and provided a drawing and a letter showing the lifetime warranty on the repairs. Shortly after I moved in I started noticing cracks and the signs of foundation issues. So I called the number provided on the paperwork.

My first red flag went up when the man who answered the phone asked "How did you get this number?"

I told him who I was and that I needed him to come out and inspect my house for possible repairs. The man came out and said there was nothing wrong with my house. Even though I had newly formed cracks in the brick, cracked tiles, cracked sheetrock and framing that showed signs of movement.

My second red flag went up when he said "Oh I remember this house. We laid the tile in it." So I got to thinking is he a tile guy or a foundation guy?

I have since had three reputable foundation companies come out to inspect he house. All said there is severe damage that needs to be repaired. I had them review the house and give their feedback before I let them know previous work had been done. Two of the companies said that the front corner of my house was way too high which has stressed out the rest of my house. I then showed them the provided drawing and it matches where they did "work" previously before. I have quotes ranging from $5k to $15k.

I am at a loss. I feel as though the company that sold me the house scammed me for one. I was told foundation work had been done and not to worry since there was a warranty. Then the company that would be responsible for fixing says nothing is wrong with the house.

So now I am going to have to dish out thousands of dollars to have my house repaired because of poor work done before.

I am not sure what, if anything can be done. But I do not want that company doing anymore "repairs" on my house. But I think that either the "foundation" company or the managing company that flipped the house should be somewhat responsible for costs.

- Michelle Hall

I purchased a home in September 2013. It is an older home that was purchased and flipped by a company. They had some foundation repairs done and provided a drawing and a letter showing the lifetime warranty on the repairs. Shortly after I moved in I started noticing cracks and the signs of foundation issues. So I called the number provided on the paperwork.

My first red flag went up when the man who answered the phone asked "How did you get this number?"

I told him who I was and that I needed him to come out and inspect my house for possible repairs. The man came out and said there was nothing wrong with my house. Even though I had newly formed cracks in the brick, cracked tiles, cracked sheetrock and framing that showed signs of movement.

My second red flag went up when he said "Oh I remember this house. We laid the tile in it." So I got to thinking is he a tile guy or a foundation guy?

I have since had three reputable foundation companies come out to inspect he house. All said there is severe damage that needs to be repaired. I had them review the house and give their feedback before I let them know previous work had been done. Two of the companies said that the front corner of my house was way too high which has stressed out the rest of my house. I then showed them the provided drawing and it matches where they did "work" previously before. I have quotes ranging from $5k to $15k.

I am at a loss. I feel as though the company that sold me the house scammed me for one. I was told foundation work had been done and not to worry since there was a warranty. Then the company that would be responsible for fixing says nothing is wrong with the house.

So now I am going to have to dish out thousands of dollars to have my house repaired because of poor work done before.

I am not sure what, if anything can be done. But I do not want that company doing anymore "repairs" on my house. But I think that either the "foundation" company or the managing company that flipped the house should be somewhat responsible for costs.

- Michelle Hall

Caveat emptor, buyer beware.

If you have any promises or warranty issues, what do you have in writing to support your position?

Did you hire an inspector to inspect the home before you did the deal?

Read your purchase documents.

Start by seeing what the seller guaranteed.

If its like most deals, the only guarantee was the price.

Back