Forming a company in US (for non-us residents)

A

AnasHaddad

Jurisdiction
Delaware
Hello,
I'm from Morocco. I drop-ship products from China and sell them to customers in United States via my online stores. I want to form a company in US so I can have more options than I have right now, like having accounts with multiple credit card processors and other companies, that work only with US residents and US companies. I've read online that you can hire a registered agent and it can form the company for you, but you need to visit the bank in order to open a business bank account, and I have no problem in that. My plan is to buy wholesale orders from my suppliers in China, and send them to a fulfilment house in US, then let that fulfilment company ship to my customers directly. My question is about the taxes, I don't know exactly what applies to me, and I have no idea about the US tax law. Can you please help?
Thanks,

I don't know exactly what applies to me, and I have no idea about the US tax law. Can you please help?

Taxes are the least of your worries, mate.

What you're proposing sounds as if you'll be part of a living, breathing Matryoshka or Babushka Doll Sales Chain.

With Ali Baba and Amazon sucking up cash and oxygen across the planet, there's not much room for a tiny, independent wannabe seller unless you've got an undiscovered item. Beyond that, how will you reach potential buyers? What's your pitch to get them to eagerly fork over money for your mundane Chinese produced trinkets?

But, you don't have that item.

You're going to buy more Chinese trinkets, ship the trinkets into the US, drop ship them using US based warehouses to eager US consumers in the year of an "America First" Hurricane.

You might try affiliating with Ali Baba or Anazon as an authorized seller.
Yeah, they take a rake right off the top of your sales revenue, but they use their logistics, finance, accounting, and regulatory infrastructure.

You'll still face tremendous challenges, but not the one you identified.

This is not a message board question. This is an international tax law question. The embassy can help point you in the right direction. Just so you know, in the US, you are not just dealing with federal law, but also the tax laws of each of the states, and often the city or municipality. Some states are more favorable to do business in than others. even if you reside outside the US, if you have a presence in the US, you are responsible for complying with any and all applicable laws. There are consultants out there who make a pretty penny walking folks like you through the process and advising them on the best locations and legal compliance.

Or, you can take the advice above and utilize an existing online sales platform. you are still going to want to consult a tax advisor, but it is much less onerous.

Back