Former Olympic Gold Medalist and Heavyweight Boxing Champ Leon Spinks Dead at age 67

army judge

Super Moderator
RIP Champ.

I admired your skills in the squared circle.

Boxing legend Leon Spinks died at the age of 67 on Friday night in a Henderson, Nevada, hospital near his home after battling with prostate cancer for several years, according to family friend Joe Bernal.

Spinks served in the Marine Corps before he rocketed to international fame in 1978 when he beat Muhammad Ali in a split decision to earn the undisputed world heavyweight title in what was considered one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.

"It was considered a mere joke,'' fellow boxing great George Foreman told USA TODAY Sports when reflecting on that historic bout. "Why in the world would they put (Spinks) in the ring with Muhammad Ali with such a short boxing career?

"He beat the devil out of Muhammad, from pillar to post, even Muhammad was surprised.

"(Spinks) was legitimate, and he has his rightful place in the history of heavyweight boxers.''

Spinks' gap-toothed smile became his trademark as he burst on the scene as an amateur. Fighting alongside his brother Michael and a charismatic light welterweight by the name of Ray Leonard, they became most successful U.S. Olympic boxing team in history.

Leon Spinks, former heavyweight boxing champ, dies at 67

Celebrity deaths 2021 to date:

Leon Spinks
Christopher Plummer
Trisha Noble
Hal Holbrook
Dustin Diamond
Sophie
Cicely Tyson
Cloris Leachman
Song Yoo-jung
Larry King
Hank Aaron
Angie Jakusz
Joanne Rogers
Peter Mark Richman
Phil Spector
John Reilly
Deezer D
Tommy Lasorda
Marion Ramsey
Tanya Roberts
George Gerdes
Kerry Vincent
Gerry Marsden

Celebrity deaths 2021 to date:

I have always disdained the notion of celebrity, especially the way it is used in our country.

What does celebrity mean?
1 : the state of being celebrated : fame The actress lived a life of celebrity.
2 : a famous or celebrated person Many celebrities attended the awards ceremony.

Upon reviewing the list of alleged celebrities who recently departed this life, I am comforted once more in my belief system, suspicions, and notions.

However, I pray for eternal peace and salvation for all the recently, dearly departed.

Another notable has left this life.

One of the most consequential policymakers of all time, having served three American presidents, George P. Shultz died February 6 at age 100."He knew the value of one's word, that 'trust was the coin of the realm' and stuck unwaveringly to a set of principles," the statement went on.

"This, combined with a keen intelligence, enabled him to not only imagine things thought impossible but also to bring them to fruition and forever change the course of human events."

Cold War hero George Shultz who served under Reagan dies aged 100

I'm replacing "celebrity" with "notable".

"notable"
no·ta·ble

adjective
worthy of attention or notice; remarkable.
"the gardens are notable for their collection of magnolias and camellias"

noun
a famous or important person.
"businessmen and local notables"

Hmmmm....

January 15, 2021 | 4:17pm | Updated

A wealthy, 89-year-old artificial sweetener magnate who made Sweet'N Low a household name has committed suicide by jumping from his Park Avenue apartment building, law enforcement sources told The Post.

Donald Tober, CEO and co-owner of the New York-based 1,400-employee Sugar Foods, leapt to his death just after 5 a.m. Friday, and was found in the courtyard of the luxury Upper East Side building between 65th and 66th streets, the sources said.

He was struggling with Parkinson's disease, the sources said.

At the helm of Sugar Foods, Tober turned the company's flagship product, Sweet'N Low, and its ubiquitous little pink packets, into a mainstay on kitchen counters and restaurant tables across the country, along with Sugar in the Raw and N'Joy nondairy creamer.

"Basically, we're concerned with everything that surrounds the coffee cup," Tober told Restaurant News in 1995. "We're tightly focused."

Back