Forged End date on a lease paper I never signed

Josh B

Jurisdiction
Florida
I recently moved out of my old apartment. I did leave a month before said lease was suppose to be which the original lease states it is a 12 month lease. The thing is the original lease does not have a end date. He pretended to be sending me my security deposit. Once he forward the invoice, it was $500 less than my full security deposit. Then with he had a new lease paper that had now been forged with a ending date that he now also circled. The forged document doesn't have our signatures on it. I want to know if he still has a right to withhold the rest of my security deposit even after not having a original date on the lease and now committed forgery.

If the document doesn't have signatures, then it's not a forgery. If the original lease said it was for 12 months, then it doesn't need an "end date", because it's a 12 month lease.

the original lease states it is a 12 month lease. The thing is the original lease does not have a end date.

These two statements seem to be in conflict. If it's got a start date and states that it's a 12 month lease, then any third grader can figure out when the end date is.

The forged document doesn't have our signatures on it.

If there are no signatures, then it cannot be forged.

I want to know if he still has a right to withhold the rest of my security deposit even after not having a original date on the lease and now committed forgery.

The landlord may withhold from a security deposit for unpaid rent. You admitted "moved out of [the] apartment . . . a month before said lease was suppose to" expire. Unless you paid rent for that last month, the landlord was entitled to withhold from the deposit for that.

Back