Foreigner Applying for EIN for C-Corp without SSN, Will It Make the C-

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrix

I am currently in the US on a B2 visa to start a C-Corp. As a foreigner, I don't have a SSN or an ITIN.

I need to apply for an EIN for the company. The IRS website says that, without a SSN/ITIN, I cannot use the online form to obtain the EIN, and I have to call the IRS directly and fax in the SS-4 to get the EIN.

Here is the problem: my incorporation agent (a pretty large and well-known one) has told me that since I don't have a SSN or an ITIN, the EIN I obtain from the IRS will make my c-corp a "foreign entity" which will disqualified it from doing business or hiring in the US.

Is that true? Is there some boxes in the SS-4 form that may make that difference (so that I must avoid)?

Because I am planning to hire a few employees in the US in the future, please advise me what I should tell the IRS on the phone and where on the SS-4 form I should pay specific attention to, so that I can avoid this issue of "EIN obtained by a foreigner will make the c-corp a foreign entity not able to do business in the US".

Thank you.

You might want to talk to a business law attorney or tax law attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back