Foreign Land

Jesus Solis

Jurisdiction
Mexico
My father passed away and I found out later that he was half owner of some land in Durango Mexico. Being his only living son I was wondering if I have any rights to the land?

My father passed away and I found out later that he was half owner of some land in Durango Mexico. Being his only living son I was wondering if I have any rights to the land?

That's a question for a Mexican attorney as the answer depends very much on Mexican law. This site focuses on law in the U.S. and so far as I know we have no one here that is an expert in Mexican law to help you.

Might also depend on how title to the land was held.

I imagine that Mexico has some sort of property ownership registry but I haven't found any government website for that.

You might have to hire a lawyer there and you'll almost certainly have to probate your interest if you have one.

Have you identified and contacted the other owner?

Good question. Here are some other good questions:

1. When did your father die?

2. Where did your father live when he died?

3. Did your father have a will? If so, what, if anything, did the will say about this property? Did the will provide that anyone other than you gets anything? If so, please provide detail.

4. Has your father's estate been probate or otherwise properly administered? If not, why not? If so, who was the executor/administrator/personal representative? Was this Mexican property included in the schedule(s) of assets filed in the probate case?

5. Does your statement that you are his "only living son" mean that he had other children who predeceased him? If so, did any of them have children who are still living?

6. How did you become aware of this half interest in property? Have you spoken with the other half owner about the situation?

Back