Foreclosure By Condo Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJL1973

My jurisdiction is: Ohio

Hello,

I live in a condominium in the state of Ohio. The community is goverened by a board of directors which comprise the "Homeowners Association".

Approximately one year ago, I started to fall behind in paying my association dues. In July, a lein was filed by the association for the amount of roughly $1500.00. I was planning to satisfy the lein and any subsequent arrearage, this month. Before I could, I was served notice of a complaint for foreclosure. The amount now being sought is $4000.00, which includes penalties and legal fees.

Notice was served on 12/05/08, which leaves me 26 days to answer the complaint. While I am able to satisfy a portion of this debt, I do not believe I can render the entire amount owed before the expiration of the alloted time (28 days).

I do not wish to lose the property and of course I want to protect my credit rating. I am also not opposed to filing chapter 13, as an absolute last resort.

That being said, I pose the following questions:

1.) In such a case, is it possible or common, for the Condo Association to agree to payment arrangements, prior to going to court? If so, is the complaint officially "dropped"?

2.) If a settlement agreement is reached, does the foreclosure remain on record, damaging my credit rating?

3). If, as a second to last resort (last being chapter 13), I wished to exercise my right of redemption, approximately much time might I have to acquire the funds necessary to stop the foreclosure?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back