For-Profit Courses that Use Concepts from Therapy Models by other Researchers

Japhon

Jurisdiction
Utah
Hello,

I have a complicated question that I have not been able to find an answer to via online research. I will try to include all the information that seems relevant, but I'm happy to provide any other info that is needed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Basically, I'm curious about what I can and cannot use in the design of online courses that teach therapeutic concepts/principles that I did not design/research.

I am a licensed psychologist trained in a number of therapy techniques including Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). These are all therapeutic models that have been researched/tested in academic institutions by a number of professors/researchers over the years. The research has been funded by both federal grants and state university grants.

The courses I want to design would be provided online (both from my website and other online platforms) for a fee. They would NOT qualify as therapy (which I would make clear), but would be psycho-educational resources to increase understanding about various psychological topics and teach specific coping strategies and skills. They would consist primarily of original text, audio, video, and graphics created by myself. However, I would need to use a lot of concepts, terms, techniques, and strategies that were designed by other researchers and published in empirical articles/journals. I would also want to include (if allowed) worksheets/homework assignments that closely mirror worksheets/activities designed by other researchers. I would, of course, credit/cite these researchers whenever appropriate.

Here are my specific questions:
  • What am I allowed to use/not use in a for-profit online course?
  • What would I need to cite?
  • Would I need to get permission from the researchers?
  • Would I need to get permission from the academic journals?
  • What of my original work, if any, would be protected?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello,

I have a complicated question that I have not been able to find an answer to via online research. I will try to include all the information that seems relevant, but I'm happy to provide any other info that is needed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Basically, I'm curious about what I can and cannot use in the design of online courses that teach therapeutic concepts/principles that I did not design/research.

I am a licensed psychologist trained in a number of therapy techniques including Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). These are all therapeutic models that have been researched/tested in academic institutions by a number of professors/researchers over the years. The research has been funded by both federal grants and state university grants.

The courses I want to design would be provided online (both from my website and other online platforms) for a fee. They would NOT qualify as therapy (which I would make clear), but would be psycho-educational resources to increase understanding about various psychological topics and teach specific coping strategies and skills. They would consist primarily of original text, audio, video, and graphics created by myself. However, I would need to use a lot of concepts, terms, techniques, and strategies that were designed by other researchers and published in empirical articles/journals. I would also want to include (if allowed) worksheets/homework assignments that closely mirror worksheets/activities designed by other researchers. I would, of course, credit/cite these researchers whenever appropriate.

Here are my specific questions:
  • What am I allowed to use/not use in a for-profit online course?
  • What would I need to cite?
  • Would I need to get permission from the researchers?
  • Would I need to get permission from the academic journals?
  • What of my original work, if any, would be protected?

Thank you so much for your help!

The prime directive when authoring any a academic material is don't plagiarize and always give attribution to the original source, being careful not to violate any copyrights or other legal protections.

My personal rule is if in doubt, write it in your words, being careful to cite your source.

If that's impossible, or perhaps too unclear, don't use the material.

Back