fmla

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhweld

Had to miss two days of work for court to get custody of my kids.they have att, point system they gave me two points, to care and provide for a family member is that covered.boy 14 girl 17...

Sorry but that is not covered by FMLA. FMLA is leave for the arrival of a new child, to care for a family member suffering from a serious health condition & to deal with the employee's own serious health condition.

Admittedly, that's a pretty creative attempt at trying to get FMLA to cover it. :D

Good try. ........................

FMLA stands for Family Medical Leave Act, not Family OR Medical Leave Act.

If the leave is not medical, it is not FMLA.

Actually FMLA stands for The Family and Medical Leave Act.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.pdf

Leave can be used to care for newborn, even newly adopted or newly placed foster child which wouldn't "exactly" be called medical leave. It's more family leave but still wouldn't apply in OP's case.

However, the point is that it's NOT leave for anything related to family. Even if not strictly medical, there are specific eligible situations and going to court for custody issues is NOT one of them.

FMLA stands for Family Medical Leave Act, not Family OR Medical Leave Act.

If the leave is not medical, it is not FMLA.

My point though was to clarify the above - that it is not always medical leave. It's family *and* medical leave --- can take leave for adoption (family leave) etc. as I noted previously. I assume that it why it is called The Family AND Medical Leave Act. I did state would not apply in OP's case.

Unless you were adopting these kids or they were being placed with you as part of foster care, FMLA would not apply. A simple change of custody from family member X to you isn't covered.

Fellow posters, let's not get into a game of correcting minor grammar errors that do not affect the answer. It just confuses posters and makes it look like answers which are totally correct are unreliable. We are all among friends here :)

Re my posts, just didn't want people who might read this thread believe FMLA only applies to medical leave. (it was a clarification)

Given that the ONLY non-medical reason FMLA can be used for is adoption and/or foster care, not always for foster care and that even within the statute adoptions is closely tied to birth, which is medical, I think the point stands on its own.

Everyone has his/her opinion. I just didn't want any incorrect info re FMLA in thread. (It's called Family & Medical Leave due to not *always* medical.) Agree though that generally medical - OP's case would be closer to family leave though FMLA doesn't cover this type of family leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back