Flooding

Ragreen721

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My mother's basement of the home she rents flooded. It has flooded in the past (no more than 3 in.) and this time it was over a foot. Antique furniture was ruined, clothing, shoes, bedding, but most importantly my diploma, photos, cards from deceased relatives, and yearbooks are ruined. We have complained every time it has flooded and we have took steps to move boxes a few inches off the ground. Our landlord has "fixed" the problem in the past by doing quick and cheap repairs. This time the sump pump went out in addition to him refusing to add the tiles (I'm not sure of the technical term) like most homes have that off set flooding. I am wondering if it is possible to sue him for neglect of the property or for anything else. Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me or who reads this post. IMG_6060.JPGIMG_2334.JPG

I am wondering if it is possible to sue him for neglect of the property or for anything else.

Your mother can sue anyone for any reason.

If she were to sue her landlord for an act of God (the flood), she is unlikely to prevail.

I suggest you discuss with your mother renter's insurance.

Make sure she discusses with the insurance agent(s) that she purchase insurance to cover flooding, as in water damage to her goods in the basement.

You might also inform your mother that she can rent a storage unit to better protect her goods, again suggesting to her to make sure her goods in storage (should she choose that route), are PROPERLY insured from all manner of loss.

Ditto.
This is why renters insurance exists. Hopefully she has a policy as they tend to be rather cheap.

The landlord will not likely be held responsible for your damages.

Make sure you notify the landlord if needed repairs in the manner indicated in your lease. Often times this is a written notice. If you should end up wanting out of the lease you will want to be able to show you did all you were required to do.

The home was advertised as a 4 bedroom, including the bedroom in the basement. The basement is finished. So why would we store the belongings in storage? She has renters insurance, but it doesn't cover the flooding.

Your mother can sue anyone for any reason.

If she were to sue her landlord for an act of God (the flood), she is unlikely to prevail.

I suggest you discuss with your mother renter's insurance.

Make sure she discusses with the insurance agent(s) that she purchase insurance to cover flooding, as in water damage to her goods in the basement.
He
You might also inform your mother that she can rent a storage unit to better protect her goods, again suggesting to her to make sure toher goods in storage (should she choose that route), are PROPERLY insured from all manner of loss.
spa

Thank you for offering a kind and helpful response with advice I can actually take and use to help my mom.
Ditto.
This is why renters insurance exists. Hopefully she has a policy as they tend to be rather cheap.

The landlord will not likely be held responsible for your damages.

Make sure you notify the landlord if needed repairs in the manner indicated in your lease. Often times this is a written notice. If you should end up wanting out of the lease you will want to be able to show you did all you were required to do.

The advice regarding putting things in safer storage, is to protect items that are irreplaceable such as photos, cards and yearbooks. Even if the landlord is held responsible, those items are gone. Basements flood. They just do. This one in particular has flooded previously.

The home was advertised as a 4 bedroom, including the bedroom in the basement. The basement is finished. So why would we store the belongings in storage? She has renters insurance, but it doesn't cover the flooding. spa

I have NO IDEA, nor do I wish to speculate as to WHY another person CHOOSES to do anything.

As I mentioned, she might seek further guidance on what type of insurance she needs to cover what appears to be an event that occurs repeatedly.

Some people might choose to store the "valuable and antique" property in a storage unit to protect it from being damaged irreparably.

If your mother and you choose to ignore all of my suggestions, don't concern yourselves with me, as I will not care.

Back