Flood Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgbl

Business loan involved. Business has two locations. Second location not on business loan. Home on premises and business loan. Rented that home until we sold our other home (4 years ago). Approached bank for refinancing and taking home off of business loan and getting home owners mortgage. Bank refused home mortgage. Asked for collateral. Offered commercial property and residential property. Bank refused and would only accept second business location that is not on loan and was rezoned in a flood zone a few years back.

Bank informed me we needed flood insurance at that location and they needed an elevation certificate. Hired an engineering firm. A14 flood zone determined. Insurance agent submitted flood coverage request. NFPI accepted and agent had flood policy done. Bank would not accept and said we must change the flood zone to a V zone? Former Insurance Agent was helping our new Insurance Agent; former agent called the bank arguing with them on their request to change flood zone. During this process former agent was asked to do the policy; he refused. Told the bank he would NOT harm us and work off a falsified document. We raised our concerns every where; even with FEMA.

Due to refinancing needs; we felt we had no choice. Flood elevation certificate was changed. When presented new flood policy and premium; needless to say what a shock in premium difference. $12,702 for one year! We stressed our concerns; knowing it would eat into my profit horribly. Financial records prove how it ran that business location in the red. We knew there was no way we could keep it at this point and put it up for sale. Pending sale; closing date August 2013. Less than a month before the final closing I let the flood insurance lapse after I found out the bank would purchase it. $1,678.77??? I was literally floored. How did they get it so much cheaper? Why and how could they force me to change a determined flood zone that was accepted and pay an outrageous premium?

How?
No way for anyone here to know.
I suggest you ask the bank, if you really want to know.

My apologies. The last two questions I asked here; I did ask the bank over and over. I asked during the refinancing and after. The bankers refused to give me the time of day and will not even acknowledge me when I am in the bank on regular business. I was unaware of some things up until recently when I spoke with the insurance agent who argued with bank on several issues. Due to the bank not accepting the elevation certificate that determined an A14 zone that the NFPI approved and flood policy was ready to go; the bank flat out told us they would not accept the A14 that we must have it changed to a V. We were not in a V zone. Because of them not accepting the elevation certificate in an A14 zone making us change it to a V and hit with one year premium of $12,702.00 forced us into selling that part of my storage business. Financial reports floored me. I am sorry but am explaining this the best I can. Yes I have proof they harmed my business. Where are my rights? Not asking you to answer that. I have contacted other banks, several insurance agents; all shocked by what I told them. The bankers at the banks I contacted; their voice or the looks on their face said it all. They all told me our bank was wrong and that I should have it looked into.

If you're right, you might wish to consult with some attorneys.
If you find an attorney that agrees with you and offers to assist you, retain said attorney and seek redress through legal action.
Good luck.

Thank you so much! I highly appreciate everyone's help. My apologies on how I explained everything. My husband is much better at this than I. He's been so tied up with work and due to statute of limitations; I needed to start somewhere. Again...thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back