Flood damage expenses recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stel

The state or country I am talking about is: IL

Last fall, my neighbors (I live in a hi-rise condo building) next door broke a pipe in their bathroom that was pressurized for 15 floors. The extreme force of the water rushed into my unit and covered every inch of my home.

Mostly everything has been repaired. I have 2 years from the time of flood to replace or repair posessions. Everything has and will be paid by my insurance company.

Having said that, 2 problems stem:

1) I paid a $500 deductible and I want to be reimbursed from the neighboors who caused this catastrophe. I also want to be reimbursed $50 the building charged me for hauling away my wet sofa. Is there a way to do with out a lawyer? I don't think I want a lawyer because the lawyer will cost about that much.

2) Items are damaged or missing since workmen were in the house. I had to move out for a month while restoration was being done, so I was not there to supervise, nor should I have to. But now a drill and bit set has gone missing, and other items that are not all that valuable, but nontheless - their mine and now their either broken or missing.

I called the supervisor of the workers and he denied they are responsible. I called the insurance company and they will not add the damaged/broken to the claim becasue it did not happen the day of the flood, only as a result of the flood. I would have had to file another claim, and that would not be worth it becasue the items do not add up to much.

Can I also file a suit for the damaged and missing items?

One more thing, the people who casued the flood did not have homeowners sinsurance.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back