{FL} Adjudication Withheld and Firearm Purchase/Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashamancurtis

In 2008 I was arraigned on a Felony charge of "Unemployment Fraud" and placed in a Pre Trial Intervention program for 18 months. The State's Atty extended it for 3 months due to being unable to pay the full amount. When a second extension was applied for, the SA refused and sent the case back to court. I had completed all of the requirements of the agreement except full repayment of restitution (a total of $550 outstanding).

The SA offered a plea deal of 18 mos probation, adjudication withheld. I am coming up on the early release point (12 months) and am curious about the "adjudication withheld" bit. I was assured by the Public Defender that after successfully completing the probation, that I would have all of my civil liberties including the right to own a firearm.

As "Adjudication Withheld" is not a conviction (which would disqualify me under the Brady Act), will I be able to purchase a firearm or are there more hoops I will have to go through?

Any help or advice, especially with statute references or case history would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back