First set of interrogatories and request for production of documents

johnboy

Jurisdiction
Virginia
My wife's attorney has requested this info dated back to the beginning of oour marriage 22 years ago is all of this necessary if so what is actually required by law?

My wife's attorney has requested this info dated back to the beginning of oour marriage 22 years ago is all of this necessary if so what is actually required by law?

Perfectly legitimate request, and entirely legal.

It appears your spouse's attorney wants a complete accounting of your finances for the 22 year duration of your marriage.

Translation = Your soon to be former spouse wants her CUT of the accumulated marital assets.

And your attorney may or may not be able to squash some of the request. Hopefully you have an attorney. Obviously your (ex)wife is trying to find something she believes will help paint a better picture of your current financial state and possibly to show where money may have gone missing.

Often the 1st request is for anything and everything they can possibly think of. Your attorney should be able to whittle it down to something more reasonable, mostly because you probably don't have 22 years worth of financial information. Can't give something you don't have.

And your attorney may or may not be able to squash some of the request. Hopefully you have an attorney. Obviously your (ex)wife is trying to find something she believes will help paint a better picture of your current financial state and possibly to show where money may have gone missing.

If you have engaged in illegal or illicit money transactions, you could also end up facing criminal penalties.

Do not attempt to address this without hiring yourself an excellent family law attorney, and you might also have a discussion with your CPA, or financial adviser.

My guess is that you don't have an attorney.

Going up against an attorney without one of your own is like taking a rubber knife to a gunfight. You'll be the one on the ground bleeding.

Goodnight, JohnBoy.

My wife's attorney has requested this info

What info?

is all of this necessary

All of what? The "info" that you didn't describe for us in any way?

what is actually required by law?

That's beyond vague. The simple answer is that the law requires you to respond to interrogatories and requests for documents in writing and within whatever time is required by law (20-30 days in most states). If you think a particular request is overly broad or seeks information that is not discoverable, then you can object.

Back