Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft First offense - Petty Theft. Do I need a lawyer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaredInOk

I was caught and arrested for shoplifting today. It was stupid, I know, and I completely regret doing it. I was arrested and taken to the police station where they gave me a paper with a court date on it and told to appear. My questions are...is there a chance that i am going to jail? this is my first offense (and have nothing on my record). is there a chance of getting a deferred sentence or whatever (read it somewhere online). should i call a lawyer? is there any way i can get this taken care of without going to court? does this have to stay on my record? i am sooo ashamed of myself and my stupid thinking and decision. Please help me! Thanks in advance.

I take it that you are in Oklahoma based on your screen name. If the police were called and gave you a paper for court, then you have to resolve this through the courts.

Try and get a lawyer before your first court date, if you cannot afford one (the courts determine whether or not you can) plead not guilty at the first hearing and request a public defender.

Shoplifting is a big deal and a huge problem, but if you want to have minimal consequences in regards to this action, get a criminal defense attorney.

Please do not steal anymore and I would talk to others about the consequences of shoplifting. Sure you may get away with it a bunch of times, but look at what happens when you are caught. Let us know how is goes.

To add to Norman's correct reponse. Many Attorneys offer free office visits. Take them up on it. Get as many free conusltations as possible know your options. I suspect Diversion is on table but a local Attorney will know for sure

The point is to get as much info as possible! Where one Lawyer might over look or forget something another might not. Maybe first Lawyer has only a little background in your type case another more expeirence thats why

I would talk to as many criminal lawyers as possible. I would even ask them if they know a certain lawyer in their practice that specializes in theft or larceny cases or one that has "respected" in the courthouse. Often a lawyers reputation precedes them and that alone can help you out.

I just wanted to make a post after my court date. I know when I found this website, I was trying to get ideas of what would happen at court, whether i needed a lawyer or not, would i be going to jail, etc. Well, with your suggestions of getting a lawyer, I did retain one. He answered all questions i had. Granted, he was not able to settle all my nerves because i was thinking the worst. But it was really nice having someone there to do the talking for me. I didn't have to stand there like a bumbling idiot thinking of what to say. He was able to get me a deferred sentence with 6 months probation, court costs and other fees in the amount of my bond (which could be transferred straight across), a choice between 40 hours of community service or a fine of $125, and told to take some kind of class about shoplifting....oh, and told to keep out of trouble! :) I must admit, i really did breath a sigh of relief after leaving the courthouse since this was not weighing over me any longer. For anybody that found this post because they are wondering if they should get a lawyer, DO IT!! They can answer all questions and help to do the talking. Even though my lawyer was late (he was engrossed in his work and almost forgot about the court date), I definitely recommend having a lawyer present. And keep in mind, the reason I got off so light on this was because I have a clear record...and am going to keep it that way! Thank you for having this website for people like me who just need to know that we are not alone in making mistakes and in need of knowing what to expect.

where in oklahoma do you live? i'm in tulsa and am in the sammmme circumstances you were in. I don't want to have to pay a ton of money to hire a lawyer, but I do need one?

itsmenicolex said:
where in oklahoma do you live? i'm in tulsa and am in the sammmme circumstances you were in. I don't want to have to pay a ton of money to hire a lawyer, but I do need one?

that questioned was answered for you on your topic

hi there, i am unfortunately in the same situation and it was a very stupid choice. i was just wondering how much your lawyer cost? i don't make a lot of money, and i am not too sure i can afford one. i am 19 and this is my first offence as well. the amount i stole added up to about $35. did they keep your record clean, or do you have a "petty theft charge"? i hope that you still check this because i really need some help. also, did you plead guilty or not guilty?
thank you,
ashamed

i don't exactly check the site all the time, but when i get an email saying i have a message i see what's going on. as for what happened...if ya followed the one i started, i gave the outcome....i'll copy it here for ya.

by ScaredInOk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:25 am

I just wanted to make a post after my court date. I know when I found this website, I was trying to get ideas of what would happen at court, whether i needed a lawyer or not, would i be going to jail, etc. Well, with your suggestions of getting a lawyer, I did retain one. He answered all questions i had. Granted, he was not able to settle all my nerves because i was thinking the worst. But it was really nice having someone there to do the talking for me. I didn't have to stand there like a bumbling idiot thinking of what to say. He was able to get me a deferred sentence with 6 months probation, court costs and other fees in the amount of my bond (which could be transferred straight across), a choice between 40 hours of community service or a fine of $125, and told to take some kind of class about shoplifting....oh, and told to keep out of trouble! I must admit, i really did breath a sigh of relief after leaving the courthouse since this was not weighing over me any longer. For anybody that found this post because they are wondering if they should get a lawyer, DO IT!! They can answer all questions and help to do the talking. Even though my lawyer was late (he was engrossed in his work and almost forgot about the court date), I definitely recommend having a lawyer present. And keep in mind, the reason I got off so light on this was because I have a clear record...and am going to keep it that way! Thank you for having this website for people like me who just need to know that we are not alone in making mistakes and in need of knowing what to expect.

just some side notes...in order to get it taken off your record later (usually after a probation period) i had to pay a pretty good chunk of money out. court fees, lawyer fee, fine, plus, a choice of 40 hours community service or 125$, plus the cost of the class that i had to go to. (the class wasn't bad really. and trust me, if u get that as part of a probation, they see people in there for a lot worse!! ) i would recommend talking to a few lawyers...don't pick one just because he/she is the cheapest....sometimes in life you get what you pay for, and this is not the time to be cheap...we are talking about your future. but...if u have any more questions, feel free to send me another message!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back