First offense petty theft - do I need a lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocelot650

My jurisdiction is: Florida

Last week at Walmart I opened a game box and wrote down the CD key on a piece of paper. I was then caught by theft prevention personnel, arrested and then taken to jail. My arraignment is in July and I am not sure how to proceed. I have all ready done quite a bit of research.

1) Could I show up to my arraignment without a lawyer and see what charges they are going to file? I do not want to spend money on one if (hopefully) I am offered adult diversion (I am 21.) Do I need to be represented by a lawyer to be offered diversion? This is my first offense. I have a clean record besides one speeding ticket.

2) Typically, how would one qualify for a Public Defender? I cannot afford a lawyer and my parents are seniors with little income (retired and housewife). I only work part-time and I plan on attending college in the Fall with the help of scholarships and possible student loan.

3) If I am not offered diversion, could I get my charges reduced to an infraction (the retail price of the game was under $50)? If I only wrote down the CD key how would that be viewed? Does an infraction count as an conviction? If so, how would it affect my employment endeavors/college/loans, etc.?

If I am not offered diversion or a reduced charge that does not result in a conviction I plan on pleading 'not guilty' and requesting for a PD or a continuance to retain an attorney. Please I could use any advice. I made a stupid mistake at a critical junction in my life (I will be moving in July for college and the last thing I need is a criminal record that could potentially hinder myself of finding employment and retaining my scholarships). I am not going to make any excuses for my actions but I need to get past this favorably for the sake of my future. Thank you for your help.

1. Can you? Yes! Should you? NO!!!

2. You ask then they will ask to verify your income if below a certain level you qualify

3. Ask you Lawyer

You should take several actions right now

A. Start meeting with Lawyers many offer free consultations
B. Start putting away money for court fees, Civil Demand and possible Attorney fees
C. You might visit the forum site in my signature line. There they deal almost soley on shoplifting issues

Why didn't you get the CD key from off the internet? I don't use it that way, but i KNOW it isn't hard to get a cd key off the internet. . .

Maybe you could argue for "destruction of property" at $50, hopefully they'll let you off with a civil infraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back