First Offender Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brothers913

Greetings,

In 2007 I was found guilty of residential mortgage fraud, sentenced to probation and granted First Offender Status. I have since completed my probation and would like to attempt to get employment in Georgia. I am currently living and working abroad for during the course of my probation it was less complicated for me to work outside of the United States of America. My question, in light of completing my sentence under First Offender standards do I answer "no" for not being convicted of a crime and how does FO work with individuals wanting to apply for jobs where you are working with children? I am degreed in education and would desperately like to return to the field at which I have a passion.

Thank you!

Greetings,

In 2007 I was found guilty of residential mortgage fraud, sentenced to probation and granted First Offender Status. I have since completed my probation and would like to attempt to get employment in Georgia. I am currently living and working abroad for during the course of my probation it was less complicated for me to work outside of the United States of America. My question, in light of completing my sentence under First Offender standards do I answer "no" for not being convicted of a crime and how does FO work with individuals wanting to apply for jobs where you are working with children? I am degreed in education and would desperately like to return to the field at which I have a passion.

Thank you!

Generally those diversionary programs and pleadings impact the sentencing, not the effect of the sentence.
Unless you receive a full executive pardon (presidential or gubernatorial depending on whether you were tried by the state or the Feds), you'll be considered and treated as a convicted felon.

The licensing agency and the hiring authority determine if the severity of the crime bars you first from being licensed and second if an agency will hire you.

I suggest you ask your questions of your lawyer, the one who aided you in brokering the deal.

One thing is certain, no one here can say definitively if you can ever be licensed or hired to teach. It's been my experience, especially these days, you've got a very hard path to tread.

Last edited:
There are many ways to work with children aside from public school teacher. Whether or not this record would preclude you holding a GA State teaching license I do not know. Check with the Department of Education. These things should be spelled out in regulation.

Keep in mind private schools have rules of their own and may be more forgiving. Same for tutoring centers and other businesses catering to children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back